Notices

Type R General Technical

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2004, 07:45 PM
GrantyBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type R General Technical

Well saying there is a photo thread like this I thought I'd start a general technical thread so we can help each other out to keep these great machnies running smoothly A Type R bible if you will.

I'll start the ball rolling by asking some general questions about my Type R that hopefull someone will be able to answer. Its a 98 v4 btw

1. Does anyone elses radiator fan start coming on from the moment you start the car. I mean that after only a few moments of driving softly, I'll stop, pop the bonnet and see that the fan is coming on every 30 seconds or so. This leads me to my second question...

2. Is it just me or does the Type R engine produce a hell of alot of heat. No warning lights are coming on or anything but to me it seems to produce loads of heat. Maybe its just the design of the engine and the turbo (my first turbo'd car)

3. When driving at low speeds around town, less than 30mph, theres a click when I press the accelerator or take my foot off it. The noise just comes when power is applied or the engine is allowed to 'idle' along the road. Its not aloud click, like a pen being snaped but not as loud. I thought it could just be the diff's or something like that. If you give the car hard acceleration then there is no noise what so ever. Just under gentle conditions.

4. Intercooler spray. How is this activated. Is it done by boost, rev's, engine temp, combination of things??? When you put it onto auto does it spray light all the time or only under hard conditions. Just curious about it.

5. Warming up and cooling down. I don't have a turbo timer fitted as it would invalidate my insurance, which was a nightmare to get in the first place! How long do you guys give your car to warm up and down and under what driving conditions, town driving, 'nippy' town driving, motorway, B road, B road blast. Perhaps those with turbo timers could give us an idea of the amount of time their timers apply to how they've been driving.

Thanks in advance for those who answer my questions. Feel free to add your own questions so this thread could act as a sort of database for Type R's. Just an idea

Grant
Old 08 June 2004, 07:51 PM
wooosh
Scooby Regular

Isn't there a type R owners club similar to the P1 and RB5 owners club. I find them ideal for this kind of questions.
Old 08 June 2004, 08:10 PM
Bats-Wrx
Scooby Regular

To warm down run it off boost for 5-10 mins.
Old 08 June 2004, 09:10 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

There is an AUTO button on the right hand side of the sterring wheel this automatically switches on the spray when on boost

Russell
Old 08 June 2004, 09:57 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Water spray only if its an STi Type R Russell.

Fans coming on- is your aircon switched on by any chance? bet it is

Yes, they do produce a hell of a lot of heat.

No idea about your click, unless its the brake pads shifting about in the caliper.

Warming up- minimum 3 miles before allowing it to come on boost- also approx 3 miles off boost before you turn her off. These figures are not cast in stone and there are many varying opinions.

Hope this helps,
Simon
Old 08 June 2004, 10:29 PM
GrantyBoy
Scooby Regular

Its the clicking that I'm worried about....
Old 08 June 2004, 10:35 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

where abouts are you?
Old 08 June 2004, 10:46 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

The clicking is prob the boost solonoid..

Best way to see is to find the accelerator lever on the inlet manifold and rev car slightly and hold it there... i think this will make the solonoid click. See if its the same sound..

Dan
Old 08 June 2004, 11:23 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clicking is probably the aircon pump cutting in/out, afaik it cuts out when you press the accellerator to give you more power.
Old 08 June 2004, 11:32 PM
Bob Rawle
Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the heat take the undertray off if its still on, better a grubby sump than a hot, bothered and unhappy engine.

bob
Old 08 June 2004, 11:35 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

don't think I've ever seen one with its undertray still on!

bob, will pm you now