Notices

Clutch pedal return....

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2004, 09:27 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal return....

Got a problem with my clutch pedal not coming up properly after being depressed, any ideas what I can do to sort it, is it a common fault/easy fix as Its doing my head in

car is a classic sti btw

Thanks
Old 09 June 2004, 01:10 AM
wanted
Scooby Regular

Mine does it sometimes, it's easy to fix,it's just a case of adjusting the pedal. I could't tell you how though as someone else does mine for me. If it's adjusted and the bite point goes all the way to the top, then I think that is a sign that the clutch is on it's way
Old 09 June 2004, 01:25 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti555
Got a problem with my clutch pedal not coming up properly after being depressed, any ideas what I can do to sort it, is it a common fault/easy fix as Its doing my head in
Is the clutch slipping at all? If not, it's likely that the clutch fork return spring has either broken or lost its temper.

Look under the intercooler, and you should see the clutch slave cylinder pushing against the top of the release fork. You should then see a spring about a quarter of an inch in diameter and a couple of inches long stretched from the top of the release fork to a pressed steel clip mounted on the front of the gearbox.

If you can't see the spring, QED, it's broken off and you need to get a new one from your local Subaru dealer. If it's still there, take it off and see if it "shrinks" fully (i.e. so all the coils are touching each other). If it doesn't, it's knackered and a new one is called for.

Think they're only a quid or two from a Subaru dealer. Think the same spring is used on virtually all turbocharged Imprezas and Legacys so if your local dealer's a bit negative on imports, just tell them you've got a UK Turbo of equivalent model year to your car...

If the return spring appears to be fine, it's probably the spring inside the master cylinder, but we'll cross that bridge if you come to it...
Old 13 June 2004, 05:26 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Is the clutch slipping at all? If not, it's likely that the clutch fork return spring has either broken or lost its temper.
Clutch seems fine, no slippage at all

If it's still there, take it off and see if it "shrinks" fully (i.e. so all the coils are touching each other). If it doesn't, it's knackered and a new one is called for.
Ok bit of a tight job getting the intercooler off, but the spring is fine, I took it off completely and there is loads of "spring" left in it!

If the return spring appears to be fine, it's probably the spring inside the master cylinder, but we'll cross that bridge if you come to it...
Oh dear , I was also looking at the clutch pedal assembly inside the cabin, I noticed a bolt missing, had a look under the mat and found a gold 12mm bolt, bolted it to the top of the pedal assembly into the silver "frame" like all the other pedals under the dash...

I think the problem is at the pedal end, the pedal moves about an inch up and down without engaging the clutch, it's just not springing back to hit the return bolt..

Any thoughts on what to do next

Thanks

Tim

Last edited by sti555; 13 June 2004 at 05:28 PM.
Old 14 June 2004, 04:01 AM
97 rExy
Scooby Regular

What about bleeding it??
Use to have that issue on fast shifts.
Old 14 June 2004, 07:14 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti555
Oh dear , I was also looking at the clutch pedal assembly inside the cabin, I noticed a bolt missing, had a look under the mat and found a gold 12mm bolt, bolted it to the top of the pedal assembly into the silver "frame" like all the other pedals under the dash...

I think the problem is at the pedal end, the pedal moves about an inch up and down without engaging the clutch, it's just not springing back to hit the return bolt..

Any thoughts on what to do next

Thanks

Tim
It would be a good idea to check someone else's car, sounds like the pedal is not located correctly, maybe missing some spacers or washers?? Check all the other bolts to make sure they are tight.

Last edited by Brit_in_Japan; 14 June 2004 at 07:16 AM.
Old 14 June 2004, 08:39 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Mine sometimes comes up only half way and I have to give it a little pull, or just knock it and then it springs up the rest of the way. Seems to be catching on something. Sorry about thread hijack