Noisy accessory belts

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2004, 10:00 AM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Noisy accessory belts

I recently changed the cambelt on my MY00 UK turbo
At the same time i replaced the P/S and Aircon drive belts (pattern parts) and a genuine (modified plastic) tensioner
Both the belts are tensioned correctly, but seem to make one hell of a noise.
They're not slipping and squealing - Just making enough of a noise to be noticable and irritating.
If I spray the inside of the belts with a touch of WD40 then the noise goes away for a few miles ..... then returns.
I've noticed that the noise is worse when the h/lights are on - indicating that the likely suspect is the alternator belt.

I've tried retensioning the belts, belt dressing, WD40 etc, but nothing seems to cure the problem.

Anyone got any ideas how to cure it, cos it's starting to pi$$ me off now!

Thanks

Richard
Old 02 July 2004, 08:24 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Not a good idea to put wd40 on the belts as it will perish the rubber.

You could try spraying it inside the alternator to see if it helps.

If the noise wasnt there before the work youve done then I would suspect the tensioner is rubbing against the cam cover or too much tension on the belts.

Try taking off the two front belts and run without to determine weather its the timing belt/tensioner(s).
Old 02 July 2004, 09:32 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Hi dij......I've had a lot of trouble with the white plastic tensioner for the aircon belt since the dealer retro-fitted aircon to my MY00 last year....lots of bearing noise from it, even though they've changed it four times.....I even made the dealer fit a different make of bearing to one of them, no difference. Does seem to be tension related, ie, the belt has hardly any slack in it, but, because it's under warranty ( the aircon, that is ), and because they always give it back to me this way after every pulley replacement, I'll carry on regarding it as their problem....it is bloody irritating though.
Old 02 July 2004, 09:40 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Hi micared.....

So if this pulley is such a pain,cant an orignall style tensioner be fitted instead?
Old 03 July 2004, 10:39 AM
micared
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, asked the same question of the dealer, apparently if you have 'retrofit' as opposed to 'factoryfit' aircon, the parts are different and not interchangeable. The retrofit stuff is contracted out to a company called Coolair, and it's their guys who supply and fit, not the dealer, even though it's done on the dealers premises.