Notices

MAF Problem. I'm Going MAD

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2004, 02:00 AM
fzturbo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry MAF Problem. I'm Going MAD

I've changed 5 times the freaking MAF. Its seems the air filter blows it. Is any REAL SOLUTION for it??? is there any aftermarket one and also better??
A guy told me about a MAP that replaces the MAF, but haven't find anythig on internet. Please help me cause each one costs for me about US150.
Any DIY for this???????
I know that a Microtec or a Link would get me off this problem, but i dont want any of those ones.
thanks.
Old 06 July 2004, 12:26 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't it be much cheaper & easier to change to air filter to a different one?

I presume you have an induction kit as they seem to cause this sometimes. Why not try a different kind or just get a panel filter?
Old 06 July 2004, 12:42 PM
XNWRX
Scooby Regular

I agree with Cret. If the air-filter is causing this MAF failure, why not simply change it ! There is so many on the marketplace !
If you have a panel filter, do you clean it properly every 3kmiles. Use the provided oil spray and use it onto the correct side of the filter (if you put some oil on the wrong side of the filter, it will go straight to your MAF) !
If you're not using an induction kit, try to understand what's wrong with it !
Old 06 July 2004, 07:22 PM
gyfto1
Scooby Regular

keep hearing on many threads that oiling the filters also causes maf failure so would not think that this is advisable
Old 06 July 2004, 08:35 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have an induction kit TAKE it off and refit the original air box. For better filtration & air flow use a STi air filter.

If using original air box and after market filter, some may not filter well and others allow oil to "spray" through which could oil up the MAF, but would reduce response rather than outright failure. Still, change the filter to say STi one ( or Green Cotton etc. )

What MY is the car - early mafs were a bit tougher than the MY98-2000 ones IIRC, not sure about later ones.
Old 06 July 2004, 08:42 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fzturbo
A guy told me about a MAP that replaces the MAF, but haven't find anythig on internet. Please help me cause each one costs for me about US150.
Any DIY for this???????

thanks.
The MAP ( Manifold Air Pressure sensor ) measures air pressure in the inlet manifold and can then work out how much air is there and set ecu for fuelling accordingly.
MAF ( Mass Air Flow sensor ) actually measures the air flowing into the turbo/engine.

I don't think you can just drop the MAF and use MAP, it requires a programmeable ECU that uses MAP instead of MAF, such as Link etc.

Hope that helps.
Old 06 July 2004, 08:46 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I know of someone who used a maf from a nissan 300zx on his type R, that was with an apexi power fc. Not sure if it could be done with the standard ecu.

Dave
Old 18 November 2005, 01:36 AM
fzturbo
Scooby Newbie

well, after years and a lot of wasted money buying SUBARU MAFS , i discovered a solution , maybe somebody else did it before, but i want everybody know. I installed a VW MAF, it fits perfectly in the stock housing, the only difference is the connector, i had to make a harness, also, the vw maf have 5 pins, and the subaru one have only 4. well, the fifth pin is not used. It a "Plug & Play" solution. If you have an AFC you can make it run smoother but it's not 100% necessary.
I've been using it for about a year with the same MAF killer air filter, the HKS Super mega flow, and not a single problem.
BTW, the vw maf is the one in the late GTI 1.8T AWW, AWP, AUQ engine codes golf. For engine codes, depends the country, for example, in South america, engine codes are AUQ (brazilian units) and for USA are AWW AWP. Let me know your opinnions.
Cheers.
Old 18 November 2005, 09:44 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fzturbo
the HKS Super mega flow, and not a single problem.
Hmm - My mate used to have a HKS SMF filter, and his car kept blowing MAF's. Looking at the inlet tract, there was a copious amount of dust and grime that the filter let through (and obvioulsy what was destroying the MAF's) I personally would not be happy with all that **** going into my engine! I think with a Blitz or HKS air filter, you would actually filter out more cr4p using a tea strainer!
Old 19 November 2005, 04:51 PM
fzturbo
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by TonyFlow
Hmm - My mate used to have a HKS SMF filter, and his car kept blowing MAF's. Looking at the inlet tract, there was a copious amount of dust and grime that the filter let through (and obvioulsy what was destroying the MAF's) I personally would not be happy with all that **** going into my engine! I think with a Blitz or HKS air filter, you would actually filter out more cr4p using a tea strainer!
In fact, the best proven air filter is the Apexi. Also a friend bought an MY99 WRX and he's using my old green panel air filter, and not a single problem also. But my old set up required me a conic air filter, because i have an FMIC.