Notices

How can I make my standard 51 plate WRX quicker?

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2004, 12:21 AM
ScoobyDoobyDom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How can I make my standard 51 plate WRX quicker?

Just come from a PPP'd MY00 Turbo to a new age WRX. Performance-wise I must say I'm not exactly impressed!! The classic was always 'up and ready for it' so to speak and always had its grunt there when I needed it. On accelleration it would put you back in the seat. The WRX on the other hand needs to be dropped a gear and the throttle needs burying in the carpet (literally) for anything to get going. Even then it's nowhere near as grunty as my classic. I was expecting a bit more than this. I have not driven one of these before and wasn't quite sure what to expect. Where do I make a start in giving this thing some *****? My classic would leave this for dust.
Bear in mind the WRX is standard spec.

Last edited by ScoobyDoobyDom; 30 August 2004 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Balls'd it up!!
Old 30 August 2004, 12:32 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a warranty to consider, then PPP it. The 03 PPP on an 01 should give 265bhp. Maybe consider an air filter (JR/K&N/Green/STi).
If warranty is not an issue the the skys the limit. Start with a full decat, back box, filter and a remap. Before going any further I'd upgrade the brakes and suspension as they are both a bit lame for high power. Eibachs, drop links and ARB's with a good geometry set-up should sort the handling. With the brakes you could start with new pads (EBC's/1155's/DS2500's), DOT5.1 fluid and braided lines and consider better discs or, go the whole hog and opt for anything from Godspeeds to full on Brembo/AP's.
Old 30 August 2004, 12:38 AM
ScoobyDoobyDom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoboy
If you have a warranty to consider, then PPP it. The 03 PPP on an 01 should give 265bhp. Maybe consider an air filter (JR/K&N/Green/STi).
If warranty is not an issue the the skys the limit. Start with a full decat, back box, filter and a remap. Before going any further I'd upgrade the brakes and suspension as they are both a bit lame for high power. Eibachs, drop links and ARB's with a good geometry set-up should sort the handling. With the brakes you could start with new pads (EBC's/1155's/DS2500's), DOT5.1 fluid and braided lines and consider better discs or, go the whole hog and opt for anything from Godspeeds to full on Brembo/AP's.
Sounds a bit 'full-on' all that, but 265bhp sounds better for now. What does it consist of, and how much? If I know what to look for I can keep an eye out on here and ebay. Warranty's out Im afraid. Just hit 63k!!
Old 30 August 2004, 04:16 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The PPP can be had from the dealer for 1600, but if your warranty is out then you can do the other stuff cheaper or better. Speak to people like TSL or Scoobyclinic for some top advice. To do it on the cheap you could keep an eye out in the For Sale forum for the relevent exhaust parts. BB's come up for sale regularly, whether it's Prodrives as people upgrade or better stuff (Afterburners/Ninjas) as they split cars for selling. Air filters are around 40 quid, but stay away from ITG as they have a history of killing MAFs and don't even consider an induction kit. Whatever you choose, get it remap'd as soon as it's done by a top company like TSL or BRD. Seems expensive at around 500 a time, but cheaper than a new engine when it pops 'cos it ain't set up right.

On the suspension side, all the stuff I mentioned can be bought and fitted for around 5-700. The minor brake upgrade for under 200, plus some discs maybe at from 120 a pair. Godspeeds are around 550+ and Brembo/AP top the grand.

Top it all off with some lightweight alloys. I favour OZ Superleggera.

Oh, and no matter how cool you think they sound and how much power they claim to liberate, don't stick a VTA BOV on it. It will sound silly, decrease performance and in the long term may damage your engine.
Old 30 August 2004, 04:54 AM
fuz
Scooby Regular

who knows

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=296443