MY97 upragce to VF34 or TD05???

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2004, 11:47 AM
tiktok
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY97 uprade to VF34 or TD05???

Hi all,

I own a MY97 UK catalunya, as i seem t be keeping the car now, i'm gonna carry on with some mods.

Its currently cunning 258bhp at 15psi and 251lbs torque, accoridng to Power Engineering anyway.

I've been told to swap my td04 turbo for a vf34, seemingly direct replacement for some power/torque increase.
I am running a standard ecu with dawes, but will shortly be getting the ecu chipped, as i work for a Performance Carparts shop and we deal with Powerchips, so i cna get it cheap for me

Anyway, question is, I've seen that the TD05 is also a possibilty, and there are a few for sale in the 2nd hand section, whats the better to go for? VF24 or TD05? anyone know what kind of immediate power/torque increase i will get from either, if i'm still running at 15psi ?

Many thanks.

Paul

Last edited by tiktok; 02 September 2004 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01 September 2004, 12:22 PM
David MY99
Scooby Regular

with a VF34 at 15psi till rev limit you'll be making after een remap 330+bhp
VF34 cost's new $699
Old 01 September 2004, 12:33 PM
tiktok
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David MY99
with a VF34 at 15psi till rev limit you'll be making after een remap 330+bhp
VF34 cost's new $699

that'll go bang then. Maybe i'll reduce the boost. Hmm, bigger intercooler too.
oh, scoobs, where do ya stop spending??? lol

Here at work we deal with Turbo Dynamics, not only do we get trade, but i think they offer us more discount if we can send a exhange unit, and i have mine, plus a spare td04 sitting at my girlfriends house which she bought to put on her car, but we've decided against it.

So maybe i'll go for the vf34. I would like to go over the 300bhp mark, but 330 sounds a litle extreme for my uk car, i think i'd need some further internal mods, which i don't fancy doing, not yet anyway.

thanks.

Any other peeps opininos gratefuly accepted.

Paul
Old 01 September 2004, 04:33 PM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tiktok
...330 sounds a litle extreme for my uk car, i think i'd need some further internal mods, which i don't fancy doing, not yet anyway.
There's a good few people running 330 and more on std U.K engne internals, BUT, the gearbox doesn't usually last long if the engine is producing much more than 300 lb/ft.
Old 01 September 2004, 04:45 PM
tiktok
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AvalancheS8
There's a good few people running 330 and more on std U.K engne internals, BUT, the gearbox doesn't usually last long if the engine is producing much more than 300 lb/ft.
oh, cool, thats interesting to know.
As i said, my torque is only 251, so not sure how much work is required to bump that up to over 300, so fingers crossed i'll be ok.

I do have a standard clutch, not that old, but standard non the less. Sometime when i have money, i'll get an upgraded one, was thinking about the AP organic jobbie, as again, i can get this through work at a discount.

Old 01 September 2004, 04:55 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

You won't be running 330+ bhp on a vf34 and re-map @15psi if the rest of the car is standard.

With a full de-cat mapping and VF34/TD05 you could maybe push on for 300, which i would not be happy with on that tiney intercooler. Swap that for an STI5 intercooler and samco hoses and you'd make an easy 300+ Assuming a proper re-map and not just an overboost/fuel cut defender chip.

Knocklink and boost gauge should be definetly on the shopping list if you don't have them already.

As for the turbo's VF34 and TD05 should perform very similar, with the TD05 having a slightly better top end and it seems to be a very hardy turbo.

Dave
Old 02 September 2004, 01:25 PM
tiktok
Scooby Regular

I've got the samco turbo hose kit, 2 of the 3 fitted, not got round to fitting the one to the underneath of the intercooler.

I've got a full decat comprising of Scoobysport Downpipe, TSL centre pipe & TSL firestorm back jobbie.
Got an HKS superflow induction jobbie, lightened flywheel and dawes (nasty i know, one day i'll get a electronic boost thing).

I have a boost guage & air/fuel ratio but no knocklink.

At current, due to budget,i'm not able to have the remap, as i beleive my ecu can't be remapped so a new one is required, or Power Engineering said they can do the engine management, which is seemingly around the 700 quid mark.

I know it overboosts at 1.2 bar but do not plan on running it this high, i'm happy with 1 bar, i think as standard it was 0.9.
I am looking into buying a 2nd hand subaru water/air intercooler and replacing my tiny no-good to man or beast jobbie with it. I just need to source a water pump for it and some hoses (seemingly) so that might be fun.

I would be more than happy to reach the 300bhp mark, and when i have the extramoney, have the ecu done, along with a uprated clutch. How much for a uprated gearbox anyone???