Notices

How to make spoilers secure.

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2004, 05:16 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to make spoilers secure.

Have just purchased a rather nice looking spoiler for MY99. The car at the mo looks standardish with 17" WRX Wheels, STi rear lights, clear indicators etc. I quite liked the fact that I didnt need to worry about the spoiler etc getting nicked...but now I have brought I spoiler which I love (P1 ) and I feel paranoid that some scum may nick it.

Whats the best way to secure spoilers? Is it possible to make them near enough immpossible to remove without having to remove the bootlid (which is protected by the alarm...which is connected to the phone...which is manned by me )

Have looked at upgrading my alarm to warn-away sensors for the rear etc but these systems seem dear @ around £400.

All comments welcomed.

Bob
Old 01 September 2004, 05:18 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Alarm sounds about the best bet. I've seen piccies on here where people have had their spoilers stolen, and the theiving scum bags have snapped the spoiler in the process and left the base/bolts still on the boot

If they want it, they'll have it, just dont think about it.

Jules
Old 01 September 2004, 09:36 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Have just purchased a rather nice looking spoiler for MY99. The car at the mo looks standardish with 17" WRX Wheels, STi rear lights, clear indicators etc. I quite liked the fact that I didnt need to worry about the spoiler etc getting nicked...but now I have brought I spoiler which I love (P1 ) and I feel paranoid that some scum may nick it.

Whats the best way to secure spoilers? Is it possible to make them near enough immpossible to remove without having to remove the bootlid (which is protected by the alarm...which is connected to the phone...which is manned by me )

Have looked at upgrading my alarm to warn-away sensors for the rear etc but these systems seem dear @ around £400.

All comments welcomed.

Bob
Has the P1 spoiler got all the base bolts attached ?? as looking at the Pics i could not see them & the brake light wire looked snipped also.
The weakeat point is always going to be the bolts where they are mouled into the spoiler, You could bond the spoiler on also, but if you wanted to remove would cause problems, Would defo stop the Barstewards nicking it though

Dean

Last edited by DeanF; 01 September 2004 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01 September 2004, 09:47 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

seal it with stickoflex and it'll never come off again!

about £3 from your friendly motor factors.
Old 01 September 2004, 09:52 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

with regard ta this thread what do peeps think of wrc off of dr motorsprt.................
Old 01 September 2004, 10:10 PM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

Bob,

My advise would be to use all the fixing points available, and buy some large washers - 1" dia.
Most spoilers are stolen by pulling the bolts/nuts through the holes in the boot lid. With 1" washer this would be impossible.

But as Jules says if they want it they'll get it, and if they can't get it, it will be left broken. Catch 22 I'm afraid.

dpb,

Our WRC / 22B rear spoiler uses a steel security straps that attaches to the bottom of the spoiler drops through the boot lid then is bolted to the hinge for the boot lid.

David
Old 02 September 2004, 11:27 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

IThanks for the replies all.

I dont mind permantley attaching the spoiler to the bootlid as if I was to ever sell it I could also get another bootlid.

If they have to open the bootlid to steal it then the alarm would go off anyway.
Am toying with the idea of sinking razors into the underside of the top spoiler :evil: A good way of collecting DNA from the scum :LOL: Anyone done this?

I would much rather have a broken spoiler than a stolen one.

Dean: Some of the brackets looked a bit knackered and it looks as if its from a rolled car by the looks of it.

So this sticky stuff should make it near enough impossible to remove from the bootlid?

David: Do these straps work on all spoiler and do you sell them seperately?

Bob
Old 02 September 2004, 03:50 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by DR Motorsport
Bob,

My advise would be to use all the fixing points available, and buy some large washers - 1" dia.
Most spoilers are stolen by pulling the bolts/nuts through the holes in the boot lid. With 1" washer this would be impossible.

But as Jules says if they want it they'll get it, and if they can't get it, it will be left broken. Catch 22 I'm afraid.

dpb,

Our WRC / 22B rear spoiler uses a steel security straps that attaches to the bottom of the spoiler drops through the boot lid then is bolted to the hinge for the boot lid.

David
ahhhhhhhhh......jus a minute then............they can still wrench off everthing except the bottom which is attached to the bootlid then ......
Old 03 September 2004, 03:55 AM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

No the straps only work on the WRC / 22B style spoiler, because the end pieces are all one part. There is no join to give a bottom or top section.

On the STi 5/6/P1, there is a join half way up the sides, giving you a bottom half and top half, and this is where it could break.

David
Old 03 September 2004, 08:46 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

got yer ....