Notices

Intercooler Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2004, 07:07 PM
JDM_Wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler Upgrade

Hi, looking to change my old slanted intercooler on my93 wrx. which would u all recommend. i can afford to front mount, but don't like the idea of cutting up the bumper and the inner wing. i've seen on jap innovations a mrt top mount which is a direct replacement with 200% surface area over the original. what do u think?

current mods are, full ss exhaust turbo back, hks evc, scoobyecu (15.5psi), green panel filter, mrt inlet pipe, z4 ecu, walbro fuel pump and performance sx fpr.

also have knocklink and boost gauge

any ideas would be gratefully received.

thanks.
Old 03 November 2004, 09:13 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

If you could fit a front mount without cutting or removing the front bumper would you?

http://www.paceproducts.co.uk/ricc/scooby.htm

Front mount with no cutting!!

I think www.scoobymania.co.uk do them.
Old 03 November 2004, 09:45 PM
JDM_Wrx
Scooby Regular

i would fit front mount, no problem. however, i'm really against cutting bits of the car.

are the power gains noticably better with fmic? or will the upgraded tmic from mrt be just as good.

thanks
Old 03 November 2004, 10:27 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think the Power Gains will be very noticeable...the cooler the better...

HYBRID, on a MY98 I believe does not require the wing to be cut…only the bumper..Got mine coming sooooon
Old 03 November 2004, 10:32 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Have a read of this...talk of Intercoolers and power gains...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=362257
Old 04 November 2004, 07:59 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't personally bother with pace, that conversion was always full of compromises.

Is your air con very important to you, because you could fit a lateral performace fmic without cutting anything.

If any intercooler is going to give you performance gains, that is going to be the one, largest core area, largest cross sectional area of flow path, and shortest possible pipe work.

I managed to get mine to work with air con, but that will involve about £800 worth of toying and for me I just wanted to know if it could be done, and even then it is only possible on the phase 1.5 manifold which you don't currently have.

Lateral aside, I wuld consider an uprated tmic such as an mrt, bpm if they still make it or try an sti 8. Bit of a pain to fit, but probably worth it.
Old 04 November 2004, 10:25 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

If any intercooler is going to give you performance gains, that is going to be the one, largest core area, largest cross sectional area of flow path, and shortest possible pipe work.
Adam: I know that you want to push Mark's products but tell the whole story.
The shortest pipework comes about as a result of reversing the inlet manifold. Something most Scooby owners will not do. Big job for what gain? Cost effective?
As I understand it, pipework is not included in the kit so that is additional hassle for your average Scooby owner and further sizable expense.
There are a number of proven FMIC kits on the market, complete and ready to fit. APS and Hyperflow are just two. Both retain A/C and spot lights.
I understand there is a choice of water radiator section width with the Lateral. Are you aware of fitting and clearance problems with any of these?
In terms of performance the Hybrid at only £580 is already proven at 400 bhp. A/C and lights retained.
The Lateral may be attractive to someone who wants to turn their inlet manifold and do a lot of other work and has no problem with making custom pipes but your sweeping statement is a bit OTT.

Trending Topics

Old 04 November 2004, 10:28 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

How bouts that...
Old 04 November 2004, 11:30 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JDM_Wrx
Hi, looking to change my old slanted intercooler on my93 wrx. which would u all recommend. i can afford to front mount, but don't like the idea of cutting up the bumper and the inner wing. i've seen on jap innovations a mrt top mount which is a direct replacement with 200% surface area over the original. what do u think?

current mods are, full ss exhaust turbo back, hks evc, scoobyecu (15.5psi), green panel filter, mrt inlet pipe, z4 ecu, walbro fuel pump and performance sx fpr.

also have knocklink and boost gauge

any ideas would be gratefully received.

thanks.
All depends on your power goals really. Not much point going for I/Cs capable of 350/400/450/500bhp etc if your aiming for less. I would go for a I/C suited to the job.

Bob
Old 04 November 2004, 10:20 PM
JDM_Wrx
Scooby Regular

thanks for all your opinions. my goal target is to be between 300-350 bhp with good torque. i use the car daily so don't want to do away with the air-con or front lamps. i really like the look of the mrt top mount and feel this fits the bill quite well.

can anyone suggest other mods if they feel i'm going about my modding in the wrong way.

thanks