PPP Turbo pipe unreliable ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2004, 08:47 AM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry PPP Turbo pipe unreliable ?

Greetings all...

I wrote last week and mentioned that the blue PPP pipe had blown off my MY04 WRX PPP (this is where it enters the turbo from the side - just in view under the intercooler).

We had Subaru assist out last Thursday and they fixed it. I then went to the Middle East for the weekend during which time it happened twice more (wife driving). Two more techs came out to reattach.

Both have said that there is nothing wrong with the car - but if (I quote) '..you will modify an engine above its design spec then this will happen and could happen again and again....'

Some of the rest of my story is a bit lacking as I have only just got back to the UK. However my wife says that two Subaru techs have stated that the blue pipe is smooth (to help air flow) and therefore will not attach as well as the rougher black standard pipes. Is this true?? How does the sti cope (does it not have an up-rated pipe as a standard fitment? The same goes for the WR1…).

Anyway, have others with PPP modifications to WRX had similar problems. I certainly did not have PPP added with a view that I would accept the pipe blowing off at will. One of the techs also said that it was a heavy right foot and that we should 'back off'. Well we do not drive silly but you do not buy the PPP pack with a view to having a light foot the whole time....

Any comments or advice? I wonder if Prodive have any comments?

cheers

Mark
Old 29 November 2004, 08:55 AM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

All you need is a better jubilee clip.

It is possible that the one on your car has been overtightened at some point and can no longer be done up tight enough

I've had the pipe on my car for almost 2 years, running a higher boost level than with the 'PPP' and it's never come off once! LOL

Richard
Old 29 November 2004, 09:13 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Mark

We have done thousands of performance packages using these hoses and I have never heard anything about them popping off before. The hose is silicone and if evertything is clean when it's fitted it will actually have more grip than the std plastic part anyway. Have you fitted any other parts along with the PPP?

Mike
Old 29 November 2004, 09:21 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's quite a bit of grease that moves from the throttle body onto the link pipe - it often makes a permanent stain on the Samcos.
If this got smeared on the inside of the pipe before it was put on then I could understand it.
I've heard of hairspray being sprayed on mating faces to add tackiness before being done up - perhaps worth a try.

Nick
Old 29 November 2004, 01:10 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Use laquer as stated above. It's an old motorsport trick. Make sure you clean the oil off first.

My PPP pipe did the same due to oil vapour on recirc. making it slip off. Mike may just not have heard that this can and does happen! It's a 2 min job to replace it if you have a screw driver in the car.

F
Old 29 November 2004, 02:12 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

many thanks for all replies so far !

Floyd - thanks for comments and advice. If it was just me driving then the screw driver is the option. As its wife driving I will simply be poked my said screwdriver which is why I need to find a solution.

cheers

Mark