Injection problem

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2005, 06:53 PM
hansb
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injection problem

Hi all.
I am a new guy from Norway. Owner of three Subarus and a italian bike (Aprilia).
Discovered the forum today trying to fix a problem on my legacy 2,0I 1998.
The car runs real bad on rpm below about 2500. It just don`t run smooth but hesitating. Looks like it runs normal on higher rpm. No starting problem, and the idle is perfect.Been reading some treads on the forum, but my English is not well enought to understand it all. Have notised some comments on a "maf sensor". Hope someone can tell me what it is, and may be a way to test it. May be it is possible to test other sensors lik the lambda sensor and trottle position sensor?
I have notised a sensor located on the air intake, but have no idea what it is.
Really hope to get some good information here.
Old 02 May 2005, 06:44 PM
hansb
Scooby Newbie

Please light me up...
Old 02 May 2005, 07:16 PM
Matthew
Scooby Regular

hansb

Welcome to scoobynet. The sensor on the air intake is the maf (mass air flow) sensor and it measures the amount of air going into the engine. The lambda sensor plugs into the exhaust just after the turbo and measures how rich the mixture is.

The only way I'm sure you could test the sensors on a 98 Legacy is to connect a sensitive high impedance voltmeter to them and measure the output. If the lambda sensor is working correctly then after the car has warmed up it will cycle up and down at low load, and at full throttle or higher RPM should go to steady high value.

The throttle sensor voltage should just go smoothly up and down as you open and close the throttle, and the maf output should increase with greater airflow.

It may be possible to get the check engine light to flash a fault code by connecting some connectors under the dash, but I'm not sure for a 98 legacy - hopefully someone else will know.

Also have you checked to make sure you don't have any air leaks or pipes that have come off? Any leak would make it run lean and cause the problem you describe.

Matthew