Notices

Anti Lift Kit V Adjustable Strut Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2005, 05:49 PM
Blairc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti Lift Kit V Adjustable Strut Mounts

Posted this in suspension but didn`t get ant response (Except Chrome,Ta)

I`m thinking of going for a set of front adjustable strut mounts from Noltec (street version) and just want to clear up a few techy issues before i do.

1. As far as I`m aware the adjustable strut mounts (ASM) are performing the same job as the Anti-lift kit (ALK) from Whiteline, is this correct?
2. The ALK offers 1.5 degrees change in positive dynamic castor and the ASM offers 10mm positive castor, how do these two values compare?
3. What disadvantages is there of using the ASM? (tyre wear, excessive noise etc)
4. The ASM also offer changes to camber (+/-) what effects does altering this have on the handling characteristics of the car?
5. Is there any decision when deciding which of these two devices to go for or it is ASM all the way? (cost of ALK is £120 and the ASM is £188)

Please feel free to correct anything that I`ve said is absolute bollox and any other thoughts or inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Chris.

Last edited by Blairc; 03 May 2005 at 05:50 PM. Reason: title typo
Old 03 May 2005, 06:17 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did reply, maybe lost in the ether...

I have had both on my hill climb/road going Sti V3 for 3 years now, and all is well. Chrome has just done the same thing.
However, our top mounts are the MRT type which give a huge adjustment range for caster and camber all in one. This is unusual, and allows about a 30mm caster 'angle' to be dialed-in, great for killing off understeer.

If i were you i would pay the extra an fit the adjustable tops.

If you can, have the set-up done by a good shop, ie Power Station/RCM/TSL etc.

You should IMHO consider a full package of suspension mods, and read the bumpf on the Whiteline web site www.whiteline.com.au and make your mind up from there.
MRT top mounts below:

Graham.
Old 04 May 2005, 08:59 AM
Blairc
Scooby Regular

Graham,

Thanks for the reply.
The strut mounts I`m going for offer adjustment (Noltec's street adjustable strut plates permit 20mm negative/10mm positive camber and 10mm positive/10 mm negative caster adjustment). I`m also going to be putting on urpated suspension and a 22mm adjustable rear roll bar. In an ideal world I`d go for the ALK as well but now funds are getting tight so I was really trying to find out what will offer the best improvement in handling, the top mounts or the ALK? as they are both close to each other in price.
Also I`ll be getting the allignment etc done once these mods have been carried out.

Any more of your suspension ideas would be greeatly appreiciated.

Cheers,

Chris.
Old 04 May 2005, 09:49 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

how comes the mrts give 30mm adjustment and the noltecs on 10mm?

I thought the mrts were the noltecs!
Old 04 May 2005, 11:00 AM
Blairc
Scooby Regular

You get two different versions, as far as I`m aware, the street version (urethane) which offers 20mm CAMBER and 10mm castor with reduced NVH compared to the club sport version which provide 30mm CAMBER and 20mm castor.
Old 04 May 2005, 12:24 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

interesting...
Having second thoughts now Adam about the street version?

I went for the street version btw Blair.

http://www.noltec.com.au/adjustable-...unt.php#street

Last edited by chrome; 04 May 2005 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04 May 2005, 01:06 PM
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't get too carried away with the amount of adjustment.
Lots of caster is ok, but it also deadens/weights the steering which can be a tiresome thing in lots of road miles.
Either mount will double /threbble the caster over stock, and that is a good thing, but the steering does get 'wooden' too.
Graham
Old 04 May 2005, 02:06 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
I wouldn't get too carried away with the amount of adjustment.
Lots of caster is ok, but it also deadens/weights the steering which can be a tiresome thing in lots of road miles.
Either mount will double /threbble the caster over stock, and that is a good thing, but the steering does get 'wooden' too.
Graham
Graham, I had read (Whiteline I think) about increased Castor increasing steering weight. I worry over your use of 'wooden and deaden' though. I anticipate increased steering effort but in some ways I was also expecting to get more in the way of feedback...

IMO the standard steering is too light anyway.

J.
Old 04 May 2005, 10:19 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

it certainly DOES make it heavier...
even more so when braking hard from high speed (was on track mind)
Old 04 May 2005, 10:31 PM
Scooby Regular

Cool

There you go.
Everything has a price.
The stock Impreza is far too light, and you soon get used to it, but i find the self centering is less positive but the benefits are far and away worth it.

You will find this more so on a track where the limit is so close ( ) and you will be concentrating so hard you won't notice the difference.

The steering on my Jaguar X Type is really nice, the 911 is just so antique, and the Sti just right!

No wonder I get confused....

Graham.

Last edited by 911; 04 May 2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05 May 2005, 12:58 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

I thought I heard somewhere that the adjustable top mounts also alter the ride height (effectively push it up 20-30mm). Any truth to that rumour? If so, I guess it makes the ALK a much better cheap option if you don't want to replace struts etc.
Old 05 May 2005, 07:17 AM
Scooby Regular

Yes, but the dimension is 10 mm I think.
When I installed mine I did the AVO coil over job too so never noticed it.
On a road car I'm not sure you would notice the ride difference (at 10mm), the attitude of the car varies so much, ie 2 people on board, luggage or driver only out for a sunday blast.

I think this illustrates the need to consider the package of mods on a suspension set-up rather than bit-by-bit approach. This is shown on the awful Whiteline site if you read hard enough, they discuss package levels, fast road/semi road track/full race.
I opted for (1) and then (3) skipping the semi raoad track. They do not cross mix parts.

This is why chassis mods are so interesting !

Graham.
Old 05 May 2005, 10:18 AM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Noltec claim that their top mounts should not add more than 2 or 3 mm to the ride height...however as they pointed out that does not take into account tired dampers and springs that have already started to drop themselves...
Old 05 May 2005, 12:49 PM
Scooby Regular

That sounds right Tim. I don't think its anythig to worry about.
As to 'wooden' steering, this is all relative, and you do not HAVE to dial in max caster/camber etc.
Please remember my car is a road driven hill climb car, not a daily driver, but it would do that job if needed to with ease (pot holes aside )

Graham.
Old 05 May 2005, 02:21 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Where does it say that the street versions and the track versions give different amountsof adjustability?
Old 05 May 2005, 02:34 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Chris - I would think that the amount of "spirited driving" you do, the ALK, Drop links, and adjustable 22m Rear ARB would complitment the car nicely.

Did this set to a car recently and with the ARB in the Middle setting it felt great, on the stiff setting the back end felt skitterish, just like my RA

Do it!, you will not regret it!

Russell (Full Whiteline gear in the garage, ready to fit onto my RA!)
Old 05 May 2005, 05:58 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Adam, quoted from the link above

For serious motorists, this (clubsport) unit comes with pillow ball bearing encapsulated in a solid steel housing.Also offset a further 10mm (gained over the street version) to gain more negative camber.
http://www.noltec.com.au/adjustable-...nt.php#street: