Notices

oil dip stick reading !

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2005, 12:59 PM
jpar196
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil dip stick reading !

hey guys Ive got a few problems here, firstly when I dip the dip stock to check the oil level, on leveled surface, it seems to give inconsistant readings. Im using 10-40 weight oil. Im thinking maybe cause its too thin ? could this effect it ? when its col and left overnight and when I check the dip stick it will get a nice amount of oil on the tip to show me the level. whereas when ive driven it and stopped, and check the level, not much of oil is on the tip ? its like only coated very thinly at the tip, and doesnt really give u the sense it has oil in there is it bcause of the weight of the oil ? or is there something wrong ? or is this normal ?
and secondly, after I have got extractors done (unequal length)
My engine seems to sound more jittery if you know what I mean.
Im aware that subie engines sound ticky and all but it seemed to have gotten worse and is worse in mornings. as if when I go on the gas air is passing through cut up peices of paper or something.
Is this normal ? or is there a leak ?

thanks in advance
Old 12 May 2005, 02:53 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpar196
hey guys Ive got a few problems here, firstly when I dip the dip stock to check the oil level, on leveled surface, it seems to give inconsistant readings. Im using 10-40 weight oil. Im thinking maybe cause its too thin ? could this effect it ? when its col and left overnight and when I check the dip stick it will get a nice amount of oil on the tip to show me the level. whereas when ive driven it and stopped, and check the level, not much of oil is on the tip ? its like only coated very thinly at the tip, and doesnt really give u the sense it has oil in there is it bcause of the weight of the oil ? or is there something wrong ? or is this normal ?
and secondly, after I have got extractors done (unequal length)
My engine seems to sound more jittery if you know what I mean.
Im aware that subie engines sound ticky and all but it seemed to have gotten worse and is worse in mornings. as if when I go on the gas air is passing through cut up peices of paper or something.
Is this normal ? or is there a leak ?

thanks in advance
What year and model? you should have oil on the dip stick that is between the upper and lower holes on the dip stick, not just on the tip. Should be near the top hole when cold, and no more than the top notch when hot.
Old 13 May 2005, 10:41 AM
jpar196
Scooby Regular

its a version 7 sti. I put some heavier weight in today 15 50w I think it has made the car more noisier? any way Ill keep checking the oil
Old 13 May 2005, 10:46 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

did you mix the oil? or did you do a full oil change? what exhaust do you have on the car? have you changed it recently? as im interested in your comment about when you go on the gas it sounds like its blowing through torn bits of paper....as mine does too...
Old 13 May 2005, 01:55 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Not sure if this applies to a more advance car like an Impreza.

My old Mini (the dip stick simply stuck through the block into the oil resevoir at the bottom of the sump), would coat all the internals with oil when running. So if you checked it after standing and cold it would have more oil in it as the oil had all drained to the bottom, when running the oil is sticking to all the parts so appeared to have less in it.
Old 13 May 2005, 04:58 PM
Hakon
Supporting Member

Try leaving the car to stand for longer before you check the levels as the oil has get back to the sump for an accurate reading. When checking the level, leave the dipstick in for a few seconds and not put it in and then straight out.

Cheers
Hakon
Old 14 May 2005, 08:59 AM
jpar196
Scooby Regular

hey neilo, I havent mixed my oils, Im using 15 50w motul oil, have changed to 10 40w valvoline a week ago, but Ive changed back to motul.
any ways Ive got a trust exhaust and yes the oil has been changed just 2 days ago and If I hear really hard in the mornings I think I can hear little tinkling sounds from the engine but I can only just make it out. it goes away when its warmed up.

thanks
Old 14 May 2005, 09:04 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

yeah i get that too, its normal i believe.

Im still finding the dipstick a nightmare to read though, do you find the same? I swear when i left it last weekend that it was full on just over ~(which is bad) so when i came back yesterday i was going to drain some......went to check it and it was barely above L!!!!! night mare...nothing on the floor either
Old 14 May 2005, 09:34 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I am bemused by this dipstick level too on my lowly MY03 WRX. I have always found it hard to read, although i only do it from an overnight stop, it still reads different on the two sides of the dipstick.
Old 14 May 2005, 09:52 AM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
I am bemused by this dipstick level too on my lowly MY03 WRX. I have always found it hard to read, although i only do it from an overnight stop, it still reads different on the two sides of the dipstick.
lol, i find the same to on my WRX03. Both side of the dipstick are different... checking the level is a joke isn't it.

Comment erased due to bullsh1t content.

oh yeah, and its pointless checking the oil in this type of engine when cold - defeats the object. You need to warm it up first otherwise you could be chucking in more oil that you need

Last edited by Scoobedoo; 14 May 2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 14 May 2005, 11:08 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Scoobedoo
One thing thats always important to remember, if you do a lot of stop start journeys you may find your oil level may also appear higher than it should - this is related to the petrol contamination in the oil. Doing a long motorway burn would help seperate the petrol and make the level look more true.
FPMSL ...... another SN Myth is this??

What utter crap ... the very thought that the petrol in the oil raises the level!! I've got stomach ache now - brilliant!!

Petrol evaporates!! And just how is it supposed to get into the oil?? Past the rings??

I LOVE the internet!!

Pete
Old 14 May 2005, 11:43 AM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
FPMSL ...... another SN Myth is this??

What utter crap ... the very thought that the petrol in the oil raises the level!! I've got stomach ache now - brilliant!!

Petrol evaporates!! And just how is it supposed to get into the oil?? Past the rings??

I LOVE the internet!!

Pete
yeah, ok, it does sound like bullsh1t, something i read on an America auto-safe website ages ago... maybe some mechanic got screwed up with his information.. but its misleading then isn't it.

yes I love the internet to
Old 14 May 2005, 02:54 PM
Drivetime
Scooby Regular

the owners manual says use 10 30w grade oil, should run better on that!
Originally Posted by jpar196
its a version 7 sti. I put some heavier weight in today 15 50w I think it has made the car more noisier? any way Ill keep checking the oil

Last edited by Drivetime; 14 May 2005 at 02:59 PM.