Notices

High ambient temps & performance..?

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2005, 06:29 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question High ambient temps & performance..?

With todays temp touching ~30°c just how much does this effect performance..?

First summer with a turbo motor, liked the winter performance, just wondered how much difference you normally get in summer heat, although to be honest,when it's this hot (not very often..!) I normally take it easy. For a change
Old 18 June 2005, 10:08 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

we saw 60°c intake a couple of times today ... causes det and ultimately a fecked engine. car will be down a few bhp cos the ignition will be retarded and you run the risk of expensive damage.
Old 20 June 2005, 10:34 AM
05WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
With todays temp touching ~30°c just how much does this effect performance..?

First summer with a turbo motor, liked the winter performance, just wondered how much difference you normally get in summer heat, although to be honest,when it's this hot (not very often..!) I normally take it easy. For a change
As you drive about in these temps, you'll start noticing a little bit of a performance decrease.

The ECU will alter it's fuel/air mapping and boost control to keep temps manageable. Presuming that the car is running on a decent octane fuel, that the wastegate actuator hasn't been played with and that the car is running a decent ECU programme, there should be no problem running the car in this heat.

These things are tested at much higher temps. I've only seen problems when people, who don't know what they are doing, fart about with the control systems on the engine and remove the safety tollarance.
Old 20 June 2005, 12:02 PM
TeamD
Scooby Regular

Had probs with the rally car on Saturday, recently had large front mounted intercooler and dual fan rad fitted, no probs cooling the air but now the damn things turned into a kettle, an only in the forest, get it on the road and no probs, just when it's on and off the power and slowing down and speeding up frequently, it just boils over after aout 3 miles. Removed the front grill and moved number plate to reduce obstruction of airflow but to no avail. Might have to throw the front bumper away!
Old 20 June 2005, 01:01 PM
pabs
Scooby Regular

Might sound silly, but are the fans blowing in the right direction!

Originally Posted by TeamD
Had probs with the rally car on Saturday, recently had large front mounted intercooler and dual fan rad fitted, no probs cooling the air but now the damn things turned into a kettle, an only in the forest, get it on the road and no probs, just when it's on and off the power and slowing down and speeding up frequently, it just boils over after aout 3 miles. Removed the front grill and moved number plate to reduce obstruction of airflow but to no avail. Might have to throw the front bumper away!
Old 20 June 2005, 01:11 PM
TeamD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pabs
Might sound silly, but are the fans blowing in the right direction!
Silly or not, it's worth checking Cheers.
Old 20 June 2005, 01:26 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

My farely standard MY99 UK felt like a dog on Sunday morning, proper slow, then after it'd peed it down in the afternoon, and the air was cool, it felt back to normal. Didnt think it'd be effected quite so much
Old 20 June 2005, 02:12 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by LIDDO
My farely standard MY99 UK felt like a dog on Sunday morning, proper slow, then after it'd peed it down in the afternoon, and the air was cool, it felt back to normal. Didnt think it'd be effected quite so much
Mine was fine on saturday on a run down to the coast, probably cause I was not asking too much of it under conditions where the intercooler should have been receiving lots of cool air! The coastal roads were an eye opener- the car felt absolutely great, very happy indeed despite the high ambient temps, I'm guessing being at sea level means you benefit from the cool dense air coming off the sea.

NS04