Notices

Cats and exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2005, 10:42 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cats and exhaust advice

My mate had some bad luck last week and No3 big end bearing went on his MY2000 classic turbo. The damage isn't bad, but just enough to require engine work. Rather than splashing the cash for this, he has opted to go and buy a nearly new engine out of a 54 plate WRX. All of the change is straight forward ( a few cam and crank sensors etc). But now to the question posed by this thread. The new engine seems to have a small (Pre?) catalyst for an up-pipe before the turbo, which I am currently going to change for the existing up-pipe. We are talking about uprating the car and de-catting it, will putting this small catalyst back in help the emissions much and does it affect turbo spool up speed? Also, I'm looking for advice on what exhaust system to fit, obviously it has to increase performance, but am not looking for something that would make a WRC Impreza S11 sound quiet. The sound of my wife's WRX PPP is very appealing. I have heard good things about H&S systems. All thoughts and advice will be gratefully appreciated.
Craig
Old 06 August 2005, 09:15 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Is nobody even willing to offer any advice on what are good and bad exhausts?
Old 06 August 2005, 09:28 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Haywood and Scott will taylor make you an exhaust to be as quiet or loud as you want, you can have a loud exhaust with a removable muffler if you fancy a bit of noise occasionally.

I have never heard a bad word said about H&S and im very pleased with mine
Old 06 August 2005, 09:32 PM
GUNNER
Scooby Regular

You answered your own question mate H/S have been making exhausts for scoobies for year's. I have had 2, one on my classic and now use there 3 inch system with 4.5 angled exit 99 db backbox on my bugeye and allway's get complimented on the sound!! . As for the uppipe most people replace this item when going for de cat but make sure it's slip jointed other wise it will crack again H/S will sort you out. One thing though the later engine's don't like being de-cated without re-map as they tend to get boost spikes,so i've read on other thread's.

mike...
Old 07 August 2005, 09:01 AM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Mike, the only bit I would query is how loud is 99db, the only 2 proper points of reference I have was a Legacy I had with a full mongoose system (too loud for everyday use but still good fun) and a PPP kit on my wife's 04 WRX which does sound superb.
Old 07 August 2005, 02:16 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigdmcd
Thanks for the reply Mike, the only bit I would query is how loud is 99db, the only 2 proper points of reference I have was a Legacy I had with a full mongoose system (too loud for everyday use but still good fun) and a PPP kit on my wife's 04 WRX which does sound superb.
Simple then, approach H&S and tell them what you want..