Notices

Bit of impreza info

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2005, 09:34 PM
terence
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bit of impreza info

Hi all, firstly im a complete newbie so be gentle and im currently considering getting an impreza (wrx) just need to know a few things about them first hehe...
Please put me right as if any of this is wrong coz i havnt a clue

Im going to be looking for a facelift version impreza but I havnt seen many (or any??) imports for sale (wrx) that have the facelift. Are these available?

Also am I correct in saying the import wrx's are about 260bhp & uk models are about 210bhp? If so what is the difference in terms of engine and what needs to be done to say a my97 uk turbo to bring it in line power wise with a wrx import?

Also if I went for a uk turbo what would i need to get it to a safe 280-300bhp? as ideally this is what i hope for hehe

cheers ya'll
Old 10 August 2005, 01:39 PM
terence
Scooby Regular

anybody any ideas?

Im totally new to scoobies so dont wana go making any silly mistakes hehe.

I guess what Im asking mainly is what are the basic specs of a uk turbo, and whats the mods required to get it running a good 250bhp at least? preferably getting it up there with imports!

And also whats the basic spec of an import wrx?

advise me hehe
Old 10 August 2005, 03:36 PM
Pedroskate
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb My own experiences

Hi
I'll tell you what I did, and the proof of the performance.
I have a 97 UK Turbo Wagon (first facelift).
Ditched the downpipe and exhaust and fitted a Scorpion Decat downpipe and decat 2.5 inch system (£500)
I've no idea what bhp that gives, but the car ran a 14.2 quarter mile at Santa Pod on a blisteringly hot day. And against standard wrx's and evo 7 it either matches or slowly pulls away (thats based on about 10 different cars I'ved matched it against).
I've since fitted a Walbro/Sytek ITP 160 fuel pump (£95) which has increased power throughout the range (4 to 6 psi increase by gauge).
Next step is a tubular, Stainless Steel, free flow exhaust manifold (the promo says +25bhp for £250ish).

None of these rely on increasing boost presure and the fuel pump actualy richens the mixture (lean mixture is an Impreza owners biggest fear). All they do is allow exhaust gas to flow easier and quicker, with the added benefit that the turbo spools up earlier and keeps pumping hard to the redline. The Uk cars don't "need" an octane booster, just super unleaded.
My own view is that this is reliable modding within the capabilities of the existing management system.
I'd like to beleive the whole package above should realise 265 - 270bhp which should give the car stunning performance (but only until the second corner if you don't upgrade the truly appalling standard brakes !)

Hope this gives scope for discussion
Pete
Old 13 August 2005, 01:40 PM
terence
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your info bud!

Is a ProDrive exaust any good? If I bought a car with one would I want to keep it or change it
Old 13 August 2005, 04:01 PM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by terence
Hi all, firstly im a complete newbie so be gentle and im currently considering getting an impreza (wrx) just need to know a few things about them first hehe...
Please put me right as if any of this is wrong coz i havnt a clue

Im going to be looking for a facelift version impreza but I havnt seen many (or any??) imports for sale (wrx) that have the facelift. Are these available?

Also am I correct in saying the import wrx's are about 260bhp & uk models are about 210bhp? If so what is the difference in terms of engine and what needs to be done to say a my97 uk turbo to bring it in line power wise with a wrx import?

Also if I went for a uk turbo what would i need to get it to a safe 280-300bhp? as ideally this is what i hope for hehe

cheers ya'll

Imports after 97 are all 280bhp standard.
Old 16 August 2005, 10:41 PM
Pedroskate
Scooby Regular

Default Prodrive

Originally Posted by terence
Thanks for your info bud!

Is a ProDrive exaust any good? If I bought a car with one would I want to keep it or change it
IMHO If its just a Prodrive back box then its for show. If its the full Prodrive downpipe and system, then it retains the cats but still provides reduced backpresure (better breathing and modest power increase). If its the full Prodrive Performance Package then its a legal (noise & emmissions) high quality package (Full Zorst, Prodrive ECU, Uprated fuel pump). But remember this was sold off the forecourt by the main dealers, so it is a sanitised package (Joe Public and his wife can drive it safely) and it still meets the requirements of noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) set by the Subaru.
Aftermarket tuning products release much more of the available horsepower, but with less regard for NVH because they are dealing with enthusiasts who are willing to accept this in return for performance.
Pete