Dump Valve on an STI

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2005, 12:38 PM
pedroartois
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dump Valve on an STI

Hi everyone
I have a T reg'd STI with a dump valve fitted, does anyone know if the large diameter pipe close to the valve should be 'blocked off' or left open? I've only recently noticed that it is open and at the moment the engine seems to be labouring at low revs. Any advice will be much appreciated.
Old 13 August 2005, 01:05 PM
voddie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pedroartois
Hi everyone
I have a T reg'd STI with a dump valve fitted, does anyone know if the large diameter pipe close to the valve should be 'blocked off' or left open? I've only recently noticed that it is open and at the moment the engine seems to be labouring at low revs. Any advice will be much appreciated.
Is the dump valve a VTA? If so then yes, the large pipe should be blocked off. If im right in thinking the pipe your talking about is the one that goes under the intercooler and back towards the inlet on the turbo. If thats left open then air is being sucked through without going through the filter.
Old 13 August 2005, 01:06 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

If by that you mean the pipe that goes back into the intake, then yes, it should be blocked off.

See if that sorts it. If not then it could be that the d/v isn't set up correctly or your MAF may be knackered.

Bob
Old 13 August 2005, 01:10 PM
pedroartois
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by voddie
Is the dump valve a VTA? If so then yes, the large pipe should be blocked off. If im right in thinking the pipe your talking about is the one that goes under the intercooler and back towards the inlet on the turbo. If thats left open then air is being sucked through without going through the filter.
Hi voddie - it's a welllake valve and yes the pipe is the one that goes under the intercooler, there's a jubilee clip on it which would suggest it either clamped onto something or was indeed blocked off. Thanks for the help - I think perhaps i had better find a block for it.
Old 13 August 2005, 01:12 PM
pedroartois
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
If by that you mean the pipe that goes back into the intake, then yes, it should be blocked off.

See if that sorts it. If not then it could be that the d/v isn't set up correctly or your MAF may be knackered.

Bob
Hi Bob - exuse my ignorance but what is a MAF? I've only had the car since May and all the Techie terms are new to me. Thanks!
Old 13 August 2005, 01:17 PM
voddie
Scooby Regular

It would explain why the engine is running rough, the MAF (Mass Air Sensor) is the sensor just after the air box and tells the ecu how much air and the temperatue of it, is being drawn in. Air being sucked through the large pipe under the intercooler will be far hotter than what is going past the sensor, hence incorrect info going to the ECU.
Old 13 August 2005, 01:17 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

search: 'maf failure' in Technical to learn about it. Worthwhile knowing the tell-tell signs which if read correctly can prevent engine failure.

Bob
Old 13 August 2005, 01:21 PM
pedroartois
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by voddie
It would explain why the engine is running rough, the MAF (Mass Air Sensor) is the sensor just after the air box and tells the ecu how much air and the temperatue of it, is being drawn in. Air being sucked through the large pipe under the intercooler will be far hotter than what is going past the sensor, hence incorrect info going to the ECU.
Thanks voddie - that all makes sense to me now. Thaks for the advice and info.
Old 13 August 2005, 01:22 PM
pedroartois
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
search: 'maf failure' in Technical to learn about it. Worthwhile knowing the tell-tell signs which if read correctly can prevent engine failure.

Bob
Thanks Bob - I'll take a look in there. This is a cracking forum with such helpful members.