just fitted downpipe...

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2005, 10:46 AM
Scoobynodd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just fitted downpipe...

Hi all,

I've got a 96 UK turbo (done about 85k now)

A couple of weeks back i paid a visit to powerflow (<they did me proud with one hell of a load system on my import Honda Prelude VTEC!), so i returned with a request for a full 3 inch diameter system (with a 5inch angled exit) running from downpipe to back bumper - nice!, not too loud tho mind (<which for me was a little let down lol ;-) ),but very very deep & rumbley!

So next was a downpipe, i got a full 3 inch de-cat downpipe from Revolution in Newcastle, and fitted it just yesterday. Which can take a little bit doing on ur own lol!

So anyway, all put back together started up.....and.....wow!!! ....i sh*t you not - the ground was shaking!!! << Marvellous LOL

But..........i left it to warm up (so i could watch for leaks etc) whilst i tidied the garage up, returned to my beloved scoob (of which after waiting & reading about 5 years to get one - is still relatively new ground to me)....i found tht once it had got up to temp, it was smoking (but was fine cold! and b4 de-cat!), not blue smoke tho, or brown or black.......just umm....white/grey.....kinda like exhaust on a cold day......only it was a warm day lol, now i'm probably just worrying for nothing cos i got the same colour this morning (in the day light) from the turbo region, so its my guess that it could well just be the AC90 burning off/evapourating that i drenched the bolts in to fry & free em up a little, but as i've never de-catted b4, i just wanted to hear some other peep's thoughts on this.....i'll keep ya posted.

Now my only other annoyance/worry is my clutch......it has a really annoying rattle. It rattles only when the car is idleing and in neutral (foot off all peddles!).....the second u start applying even the slightest pressure - rattle's gone!.....when its in gear, and every other time - no rattle! (<kind of a chattery type sound) - is it a loose bearing u think folks?, or a collapsing one? if so - answers on a postcard....i mean post lol.
Old 15 August 2005, 12:58 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Downpipe,.. sounds like oil burning off everywhere, including probably the inside of the new pipe....

Clutch, sounds like release bearing....
Old 15 August 2005, 07:38 PM
Scoobynodd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, smoking's all gone (hehehehe) must have just been me being a bit a generous with the old AC90 on the bolts!

But i would like some more points of view on the clutch rattle: 10-1 it is the release bearing, should i leave it till it goes altogether or shall i go abuse my 12 month warantee?