Notices

Drivers side cam cover

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2005, 12:50 PM
jc_geddes
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drivers side cam cover

The cam cover on the drivers side is leaking oil onto the exhaust system.

How difficult is it replace the seal? are there any useful tips as it looks very tight for space!

Any help would be good

Cheers
John
Old 15 August 2005, 12:56 PM
dr_jones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jc_geddes
The cam cover on the drivers side is leaking oil onto the exhaust system.

How difficult is it replace the seal? are there any useful tips as it looks very tight for space!

Any help would be good

Cheers
John
You sure it's the cam cover and not the P/S hoses? Mine had gone very hard and were piddling oil out over the cover and onto the exhaust manifold - though it was cover at first - turned out not to be...
Old 15 August 2005, 04:02 PM
jc_geddes
Scooby Newbie

No I am not sure, but I will check tonight.

Cheers
john
Old 15 August 2005, 04:19 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

I had exactly the same problem, MY97 so did a friend MY03 import. 1stly make sure it is the cover gasket that is leaking I suffered a DIY mare:

I now understand this is not unusual, Subaru used to assemble the cover & gasket without sealing compound, now they recommend it's use - so get some Hylomar.

The garage firstly gave me the wrong side gasket so after I had ripped skin of hands & fingers I had to replace with old gasket albeit this time with hylomar.

Still it leaked (Argh !) Got the right gasket and also 6 of the rubber / metal washers for the cover bolts.

Yes it's a pain to get to, you have to take the air filter box and MAF off which isn't hard, but about the only tool that will fit in the space to do the job is a ring spanner (12mm I think), make sure it's a good one. Its so tight in there it's easy to round off the bolt heads.

I found that it was actually the rubber washer closest to the bulk head. I changed only that and it cure the problem.

Not saying that's all it may be, but if you're getting the gasket, make sure you at least get 3 new washers for the bottom bolts - they are genuinely seals. Use Hylomar on gasket and washer / seals and you should only have to do it once - please learn from my experiance and save your knuckles.

Make sure you have a good supply of rags as a fair amount of oil will escape when you undo the cover retaining bolts.

At last I am smell free though - phew.