Remapping 'almost' done to death

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2005, 04:03 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remapping 'almost' done to death

Bit confused about remapping.

I have 97 turbo with flowed OEM exhaust manifold and probably going for Grahame Goode sports cat down pipe and magnex decat centre section within a couple of months.

To get full advantage I know a remap is needed, but not sure what the differences are. I had thought the ECUTEK (3?) was the one to go for at about £650, but have seen on Scoobyclinic a remap for £380.

Also saw in another thread the ECUTEK job was maybe over the top for the mods I'm contemplating.

Obviously I want best value but don't want to damage the engine, can anyone explain the difference and suggest the best course of action.

Cheers
Clint
Old 15 August 2005, 04:11 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by ClintUK
Bit confused about remapping.

I have 97 turbo with flowed OEM exhaust manifold and probably going for Grahame Goode sports cat down pipe and magnex decat centre section within a couple of months.

To get full advantage I know a remap is needed, but not sure what the differences are. I had thought the ECUTEK (3?) was the one to go for at about £650, but have seen on Scoobyclinic a remap for £380.

Also saw in another thread the ECUTEK job was maybe over the top for the mods I'm contemplating.

Obviously I want best value but don't want to damage the engine, can anyone explain the difference and suggest the best course of action.

Cheers
Clint
Clint,

You can't Ecutek a pre 99 car. You'll need a replacement or Piggy back ECU. Suggest you look into Apexi power FC

Regards,

NS04
Old 15 August 2005, 07:54 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or speak to Pat at Scoobyclinic about the possibility of re-mapping the std ECU (Not ECUTEK)

For a full exhaust I doubt you would gain an awful lot from a Re-map. It will run fine on the std ECU.
Old 16 August 2005, 03:15 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

ScoobyClinic can offer something akin to a ScoobyECU, with a custom map but the price (as quoted to me a few weeks ago) isnt far short of what Andy Forrest charges for an A'Pexi PowerFC, fitted and mapped. An FC Commander costs a further £80, but the £100+ that you save by having the PFC set to illuminate the CEL when knock's detected will cover it, as you wont need an unsightly Knocklink...

Simon
Old 16 August 2005, 09:51 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Thanks so far guys although still raising more questions.

I understood ECUTEK could be done to earlier cars, but a daughter PCB board has to be added to the OEM ECU.

Don't know anything about Apexi - I thought the benefits of the ECUTEK was that it kept all the safety features of the original engine map.

Dyney said remap wouldn't give me much more - well confused now. I have seen the ECUTEK before and after dyno graphs and been in cars with and without out and I know there are benefits.

Life was much easier with Minis it was all nuts, bolts and polishing.
Old 16 August 2005, 06:27 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

I had my MY98 remapped by Power Engineering. As there's less info on mappinng MY97 and 98 cars I wrote up my experience here:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=417306

Had it done about 6 months ago and I've been very pleased with the result.

Mike
Old 16 August 2005, 07:49 PM
BVM
Scooby Regular

What the clowns at scooby clinic dont tell you is that dyno time is an additional charge. 50 or 75 quid an hr on top of the quoted price for a remap. Patrick tuned my car for about 1 hr then they tried to charge me for 4 hrs. Next time I'll go to GGR or RCM.
Old 16 August 2005, 08:06 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Any decent mapper will tell you that the best place to map a car is on the the open road not on a dyno. A big fan in front of the thing cannot be anywhere near assimulate the airflow on the open road. My car has been mapped by both TSL and Andy F. Andy F was the last to map it and he is trully awesome. Already booked in for my newly aquired Apexi Power FC to be mapped by him. Lets hope I get the six speed box rebuilt after mashing 4th gear in time.
Old 16 August 2005, 11:03 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Clint,
The gains depend on what you do when you re-map it, like upping the boost.

I ran my 97 UK with a full de-cat at about 245bhp on the std ECU. I then fitted a mechanical boost controller and upped the boost to 1.2 BAR and made 275BHP all on the std ECU.

If you re-map just for the exhaust you will see some benefit over what the std ECU can do for a de-cat. I'd estimate about 20bhp (more if you up the boost aswell)
Old 17 August 2005, 04:54 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dyney I'm a complete noob when it comes to ECU remaps, would it be beneficial to remap a completely standard MY00 and up the boost to gain more power? I'm only interested in a bit more grunt, midrange, and dont want to have to worry about knocklinks and all that malarky (unless its necessary?). Is 270-280bhp achievable/reliable on standard internals without a decat? Assume this would be impossible with the standard ECU, so what ECU/controller could be used to achieve this if possible? thanks.
Old 17 August 2005, 07:38 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Bioforger,
I expect you could get a safe 260bhp out of a re-map with the cats in place. Think the PPP from Subaru gave 245'ish.
To get 270-280 you would need a de-cat and a re-map I expect

To re-map a std MY99/00 ECU all you need is the mapper to have the ECUTEK software. They will re-program your std ECU Cost about £700'ish

If you intend to do anything to the car I would fit a Knock and Lambda Link just for monitoring and saftey. I fact on a MY99/00 I would fit one to a std car as the MAF sensors are known to be very fragile!!

I wouldn't fit a boost controller with out a Lambda and Knock sensor, but I and many others have had good results with Dawes devices to just up the boost that little bit.
Upping the boost to 1.1BAR with one should give you about 240BHP with the cats in or 270 with out them
Old 18 August 2005, 09:19 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool, thanks.
Old 22 August 2005, 05:21 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mike P
I had my MY98 remapped by Power Engineering. As there's less info on mappinng MY97 and 98 cars I wrote up my experience here:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=417306

Had it done about 6 months ago and I've been very pleased with the result.

Mike
Thanks Mike - I've read this before and am planning very similar mods (sent a personal message)

Does the Grahame Goode sports cat downpipe have a wide throat on turbo exit or an extra small pipe ?

What milage had you car done before mods started ?

Cheers
Clint