Notices

Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2005, 05:19 PM
spr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intercooler

My friend used to have a Bug Eye Impreza and since he replaced his orginal intercooler with a bigger one he was offering me his orginal for my car. I think he only used his around 3000 km so it is in perfect condition and I can get it for a very good price.

The thing is that my car is a Classic Shape Impreza 1999 so I am wondering if this would fit and if this is anything worth considering?

Can anyone tell me the difference between the intercooler for the GT and the Bug Eye WRX, because from what I can see the WRX intercooler looks bigger.

Just want to know if this is worht considering or if this is just a stupid idea
Old 20 September 2005, 05:45 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

yes its worth doing as the WRX intercooler is bigger but there are a few mods that need doing to fit it, if you enjoy a task then go for it
Old 20 September 2005, 05:57 PM
spr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonny gav
yes its worth doing as the WRX intercooler is bigger but there are a few mods that need doing to fit it, if you enjoy a task then go for it
Any tips on what exactly needs to be done to get this to fit?
Old 20 September 2005, 10:50 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

you will need wrx dump valve and possibly IC brkts think someone did this in projects forum
Old 20 September 2005, 10:55 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be done quite simply, you'll need the intercooler (clearly!) the wrx dumpvalve, if possible the offside bracket.... and a bit of ingenuity....

The pipework off the original intercooler should be used, although i took the oppurtunity to put samco's on.....

You'll need to fabricate a bracket for the nearside, due to the inlet not having the same jugs as the later ones....

And the pipework for the dumpvalve needs..ahem.. tweaking.... or, just buy the pipe that fits the wrx.... but that would be easy wouldn't it!!!! you may?? need to shave a tad off the coilpack, i did, but then found that i needn't have bothered.... DOH!!

The other things that is a good idea to do, is have some sort of splitter in the scoop.... to direct half the flow onto the front part of the intercooler, and if you want to be really effecient, make some sort of tray to fit under the scoop to get the best out of what you've got.... but mine remains standard....
Old 21 September 2005, 05:23 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

i have one of these for sale, with all the dump valve and piping, off 02 wrx if anyone interested PM me, it is mint too

Cookie

P.S Sorry for the cheeky ad