Notices

power steering reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2005, 05:05 PM
scooby191
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering reservoir

has any body or dose anybody know what is involved to take off the reservoir and put a new top on with a new bottle slightly to the side ive seen this on some modded scoobs sick of mine leaking all the time
Old 21 September 2005, 05:26 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby191
.....sick of mine leaking all the time.....
I would have to second the above.
If no one knows or has any info about the mod mentioned would anyone happen to know how to stop the ****** from leaking. Is there a new seal that can be put in it or something?

I have a 96 WRX and its the only bloody thing that leaks and its driving me mad.

Last edited by WRXtra power; 21 September 2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 21 September 2005, 05:43 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

I put a new "o" ring on mine and it solved the problem. I just lost about half a pint of fluid when I took the resevoir off so have some rags handy
Old 21 September 2005, 06:03 PM
scooby191
Scooby Regular

ive ordered som new seals they are 76 pence each plus the vat BUT there is another place on the pump which can leak and this is through the little piece of wire which is attached to the pump dont ask me what its for but it dose leak and the way to check it is move the steering side to side and you can see it squirting out from the wire ive had one stripped and the wire goes no where just keeps on spuing out i put new pump on in the end now this one is leaking again
Old 21 September 2005, 07:27 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes these are a nightmare. youll need plenty of rags to catch the fuild when you take it off. Its just 3 bolts if i remember correclty.
Mine has been 99% stopped via a full tube of blue gasket seal. It can leak at the join to the pum and also mine leaked around the top where the two halfs of the resovoir are crimped together.

Apprenly a face lift resovoir is the answer.

Originally Posted by scooby191
has any body or dose anybody know what is involved to take off the reservoir and put a new top on with a new bottle slightly to the side ive seen this on some modded scoobs sick of mine leaking all the time
Old 21 September 2005, 07:37 PM
Rally
Scooby Regular

Location: Nottingham during week, Leeds at Weekends and 5ive-o.org at night

Someone is selling a remote location kit £100
http://www.5ive-o.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7969
Old 21 September 2005, 10:06 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Remotely positioning the power steering reservoir will not cure the leak problem. You need to get the correct `O` Ring to effect a seal before you do anything else.
On the STi 6 Wagon here is how I repositioned the power steering reservoir.
To get it right took two attempts. The first attempt was successful but the reservoir was mounted high on the rear bulkhead and this meant there was quite a lot of pipe run. On a cold morning the power steering was a bit lazy until the fluid warmed up. The choice of that location was to ensure the reservoir was above the pump level but when looking at a crashed STi 7 I realised the reservoir could be below the pump level.

You need to obtain a suitable reservoir. I used one from the New Age car which cost me nothing but they are available from the dealers for about £51.00. You need a suitable feed hose to go from the reservoir to the pump. I used braided hose.
The hardest part is a flange to bolt on to the existing power steering pump. Somebody may be selling these so it would be worth doing a search but I made mine by smashing up the OE, zinc diecast reservoir until I ended up with the base which I then shaped so that it was a neat flange with two bolt holes to hold it in position. I then opened out the existing central hole and tapped it to take a pipe to act as a spiggot on to which the feed pipe from the STi 7 reservoir was clamped.
I also made a new gasket for the flange.
I hope this description is clear enough to assist but your first priority has to be curing the leak and I know from personal experience that an `O` ring that looks the right size may not necessarily be the correct one so go to the dealers for the exact `O` ring.
Old 22 September 2005, 11:50 PM
scooby191
Scooby Regular

thanks for that info harvey really helpful so i could mount the new one on the front next to the inner wing or some thing and it will still work below the pump
Old 23 September 2005, 09:33 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Yes, you will have no problem with the reservoir below the pump level and that is why I made the job hard for myself in the first place until I realised that a feed head of ATF was not required.
I junked the carbon cannister and the New Age reservoir fitted in that space nicely. I also cut a hole in the pressed steel work to the front and side of the radiator end tank. This allowed cold air in to the air filter area which was boxed off and had the added advantage of giving some cooling to the ATF reservoir.
Old 23 September 2005, 09:35 PM
scooby191
Scooby Regular

nice one cheers harvey