Question from new member

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2005, 06:45 PM
Duncanga
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question from new member

Hi there.

I have a 94 Jap Import WRX Turbo sportswagon, what fun to drive. Everything was going hunky dory until a few weeks ago when I drove to work. Took it gently down the road, got to the main road and put a bit more on the throttle, the engine started to rev up to 3000rpm then something went and I lost all boost. No matter what I do I have no boost and there was a very strange whizzing/whistling noise coming from the engine bay

The engine is now surging eratically and I have no power. I have no ideas what it can be except it is not the turbo itself. Any ideas where I should start looking? COuld it possibly be one of the hoses?

Thanks
D
Old 27 September 2005, 06:50 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Duncanga
Hi there.

I have a 94 Jap Import WRX Turbo sportswagon, what fun to drive. Everything was going hunky dory until a few weeks ago when I drove to work. Took it gently down the road, got to the main road and put a bit more on the throttle, the engine started to rev up to 3000rpm then something went and I lost all boost. No matter what I do I have no boost and there was a very strange whizzing/whistling noise coming from the engine bay

The engine is now surging eratically and I have no power. I have no ideas what it can be except it is not the turbo itself. Any ideas where I should start looking? COuld it possibly be one of the hoses?

Thanks
D
Check all your hoses the whizzing sound could be the gasses escaping
Old 27 September 2005, 07:13 PM
Rally
Scooby Regular

Location: Nottingham during week, Leeds at Weekends and 5ive-o.org at night

Hi,

I would also try an ECU reset, drive for a bit (20 mins or so) and then read stored error codes (reading codes before a reset will throw up all stored codes from last reset, not just the one/s causing a problem now if old ones were not cleared). http://www.saxonfields.freeserve.co.uk/default.htm

You could of gone into "limp" mode, hence no power, but a whistling type noise could be something simple like suggested, or a number of other things.

Hope you find a solution,
Rich

Last edited by Rally; 27 September 2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 28 September 2005, 11:28 AM
Duncanga
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice, I will try the ECU reset and then determine where the fault is coming from using the error codes. Thansk for the link as well very useful and I will be putting the information provided to good use.

I may just use this opportunity to replace the hoses as they are over 10yrs old now and it will save in the long run.

Here's hoping my car will be running soon.
D
Old 28 September 2005, 11:31 AM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic

sounds like a blown hose to me
Old 28 September 2005, 01:21 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

definately sounds like a blown hose
Old 28 September 2005, 01:58 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

If it sounds like blowing over the top of a bottle, then its probably the dump valve. Failing that it does seem like a hose. The hard plastic pipe under the intercooler is prone to splitting, well worth getting the Samco turbo hose set, only about £45
Old 28 September 2005, 03:18 PM
Duncanga
Scooby Newbie

I can only hear the hissing/whizzing noise when the car gets up to where the turbo should start spinning up. Under this threshold there is no noticable hiss from the engine bay. I believe the Intercooler hoses have already been replaced with Samco's but it looks like someone bodged it slightly (pre installed when purchased) I will double check all these tonight.

Thanks for all the help, I may be getting back on the road very soon now.
Old 29 September 2005, 09:34 AM
Duncanga
Scooby Newbie

Right, I checked and tightened all the hoses and there seems to be a significant improvement, ie I can now drive the car. Thanks for the help.

One slight problem is that there is oil leaking somewhere around the turbo. Blue smoke is coming up through the bonnet vents and when looking in the engine bay you can clearly see smoke is coming from somewhere in the vicinity of the turbo. In a quest to fix the problem earlier the turbo was taken off and replaced, hence I know it was not the turbo that was causing the problem. What is the most likely cause of the oil leak?
Old 29 September 2005, 11:37 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Sounds like oil leak I had. From the cam cover on the drivers side. Subaru used to assemble these seals without sealing compound, now they use it - common fault apparently.

Mine was actually fixed by replacing the metal & rubber seal washers on the 3 bolts holding the bottom of the cam cover.

The oil drips onto the exhaust manifold hence the blue smoke & smell.

Just do the washers to start with, no point taking the cam cover off unless you have to.

Best of luck and watch your knuckles - not much room down there - get a good 10mm ring spanner.