Notices

GEARBOX PROBS

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2005, 09:11 PM
mgscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GEARBOX PROBS

I have a 93 import just got the car back from the gararge where i had the cam belt changed and diff oil and gearbox oil changed. since i have had it back the gearbox is very tight from first to second if you try to change gear fast you always grind it???????????

spoke to the garage who were not very helpfull and said problem is not down to them, they only changed the oil, will get better over time? this does not sound right as before the oil was changed it was running realy well now having trouble changing gear can anyone help on this they have surgested a gearboc rebuild? think they may be looking for work.

this is surposed to be an import company who had done work on the car for the previous owner, any offers of advise please
Old 19 October 2005, 10:26 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An oil change will not suddenly cause the box to 'go'.
Is there oil in it!
Take it back and have them check it in front of you. (dipstick under intercooler.) Easy to check yourself. If no oil call them to come and fill it. Driving the car could screw the box completely.
Is it the right oil grade? Ask them for the spec.
If box is damaged then possibly there will be bits on the drain plug if magnetic. You need to drain the oil off to check I'm afraid.
If box is done for, get a GOOD place to fix it. I would not hesitate to contact David at www.apiengines.com honest and no bullsh!t, mega credability.
He is based in Leamington Spa so not too far.
You will have huge problems proving it was them.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Graham.
Old 21 October 2005, 08:28 AM
mgscooby
Scooby Regular

took it back to the gararge, about 2-3 liters of oil too much in it when drained i did not see and crap on the sump plug? re-filled it again but sytill wvery sticky 1st to 2nd if changing gear fast, he wants it back again today to have another look so will keep you posted, checked the oil he has put into it and it is correct so not too sure know
Old 21 October 2005, 08:55 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

May have something to do with the oil type. Syncros dont like some types of oil.

Bob
Old 21 October 2005, 10:22 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

A change of oil type to something like Castrol Syntrax may help. Subaru boxes do not operate well on some oils. Your garage will have one oil probably to do a range of gearbox and differentials so you will possibly need to obtain the oil yourself.
As already said by Graham, an oil change will not cause the box to go, providing it had oil in it in the first place.
If it is no better after the oil change above then live with it while you seek out a reliable replacement from API etc.
Old 22 October 2005, 08:34 AM
mgscooby
Scooby Regular

right i have taken it back to the gararge and they changed the oil again to a differant brand "comma semi sinsetic LS80W-90, now not knowing too much about oils is this the right one? it is a bit better but still not as it was, is this oil ok or will i need to change it to something better? can someone give me the number or code and brand name in full? will try this next.
Old 22 October 2005, 12:58 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Get castrol syntrax from halfrads. Worked a treat in my car.

I have always been advised to over fill slightly too to protect 3rd gear during hard use.

Originally Posted by mgscooby
right i have taken it back to the gararge and they changed the oil again to a differant brand "comma semi sinsetic LS80W-90, now not knowing too much about oils is this the right one? it is a bit better but still not as it was, is this oil ok or will i need to change it to something better? can someone give me the number or code and brand name in full? will try this next.