93 WRX Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2005, 07:42 PM
connollysj
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 93 WRX Oil Leak

Hi,

Was on my way home earlier tonight and when i stopped at the traffic lights noticed an oil burning smell. Drove a bit further noticed it was from my car and pulled over. Initially thought it may be the turbo (had been ragging it a bit before the traffic lights) but when i looked underneath the whole of the drivers side (mainly towards the back) was covered in oil. My thoughts are if the oil is outside the turbo (ie all over the engine bay) it is probably not the turbo (as i assume that would show up a smoke from the exhaust) so am thinking it must be a seal or a pipe that has gone. Is there anything common that goes on the drivers side towards the back that would leak that much oil? I will have a good look tomorrow when it is light but think it would help if i had some ideas of where to be looking.

Thanks
Old 15 November 2005, 09:38 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Sounds to me like a cam (rocker) cover gasket leaking. It's quite common on the older cars, as they harden and shrink with age. Gasket is about £20 and you're looking at a few hours to change, best done in conjunction with some silicone sealant. The manual specifiies a few places, but we get the best reliability putting it all round the gasket.

Paul

Originally Posted by connollysj
Hi,

Was on my way home earlier tonight and when i stopped at the traffic lights noticed an oil burning smell. Drove a bit further noticed it was from my car and pulled over. Initially thought it may be the turbo (had been ragging it a bit before the traffic lights) but when i looked underneath the whole of the drivers side (mainly towards the back) was covered in oil. My thoughts are if the oil is outside the turbo (ie all over the engine bay) it is probably not the turbo (as i assume that would show up a smoke from the exhaust) so am thinking it must be a seal or a pipe that has gone. Is there anything common that goes on the drivers side towards the back that would leak that much oil? I will have a good look tomorrow when it is light but think it would help if i had some ideas of where to be looking.

Thanks
Old 14 February 2010, 08:56 PM
Spiceboy
Scooby Newbie

I've got a small oil leak as well. Do any of you guys know where I can get a rocker cover gasket? I've got a 93 WRX as well. Thanx.
Old 14 February 2010, 10:33 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Cearful if it's dripping onto the manifold, i have read at least 1 case of engine fire due to this.

Get it sorted sooner rather than later