Over-boosting maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2005, 08:19 AM
Scoobynodd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over-boosting maybe?

Hi all, and Merry Fogmas,

I've had this odd problem with my scoob for the last week(ish). Quite odd.

The car is a 1996 UK impreza turbo (b4 any of the changes made to the scoobs around this time, so say 95 if u like - top entry turbo - not sure which model, will need to look)

The problem:
(I'm not sure if this is what is known as overboosting or not, so i'll describe it as best i can)

When accelerating the engine gets to a point where after being boosted (somewhere around 4/5k revs and at higer gears=higher revs) so much, all of a sudden the engine, and or turbo,seem as if they are trying to over take the car, in other words the car is'nt physically accelerating along with with the engine/turbo (i say engine and turbo, bcos the boost is still climbing,so too are the revs, only the car dos'nt keep up lol) - backing off the throttle, or changing up a gear, remedies this, but it this is'nt normal. Normally my foot can be on the gogo pedal for wee while longer, and everything is running 'togeather'.

So what do u think it is folks, dose something need adjusting. The last mod to the car was a 3 inch decat down pipe, to connect up to the rest of my 3inch system, but it has been running fine for approx 4 months after the install, until now.

cheers all. (could it be just because its THAT cold at the mo?)

Blumming worring all the same, as this is my 1st scoob, and i love her dearly ;-)
Old 23 November 2005, 09:17 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

slipping clutch maybe? If you only notice in the higher gears, with the symptoms you describe I would say your not staying in the lower gears long enough for you to notice
Old 23 November 2005, 09:34 AM
Scoobynodd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
slipping clutch maybe? If you only notice in the higher gears, with the symptoms you describe I would say your not staying in the lower gears long enough for you to notice
Does it every blummin gear fella! lol :-(

I've been reading other threads and i'm wondering if it is boost creep now, cos of daft exhaust.

But having said tht, the clutch to me, is also very likely, bcos when since i got the car (had it for about 8 months now), the clutch used to make a rattle, on tickover (when car is just standing idle, engine running), but as soon as u started to even just move the clutch, the rattle dissapeared!. Not only that!, but its a sod to get in 1st gear sometimes - it drives me mad lol! - its always at the lights, when the buggers turn back to green lol!

Please get back to me folks lol - bcos if it is the clutch, i got the car with a 12month warrantee ;-), sooooo.........i'll have the bugger done lol! (hmmmmm, wonder if i can find a nice man to put me in an uprated clutch, instead of just swapping it out for a standard one! hehehehehehehehhe - any offers chaps!? *hint**hint* Exedy maybe? ;-)
Old 23 November 2005, 12:04 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

boost creep or any boost related problem would still move you car in proportion to your engine revs. It does definately sound like your clutch is on its way out.

If you do a search on here for Harvey (his username) he can supply and fit a borg and beck clutch (apparently they make the exedy) for about £250. Dont think you will get better than that.
Old 23 November 2005, 12:09 PM
Scoobynodd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
boost creep or any boost related problem would still move you car in proportion to your engine revs. It does definately sound like your clutch is on its way out.

If you do a search on here for Harvey (his username) he can supply and fit a borg and beck clutch (apparently they make the exedy) for about £250. Dont think you will get better than that.
Thats great tht fella, thanx loads for ur help, i love it when a forum works lol (still gettin used to the new-fangled concept lol - hav u herd me? i'n only 26 lol!), i've sent Harvey an email too, he could be handy as he's not that far away from me either - i live in the Stockton-on-Tees area, so he'd could be really gd.

Thanx again!

Noddy