Notices

New age STi alternators, if you wash your engine read this!

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2005, 11:51 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy New age STi alternators, if you wash your engine read this!

For all those who like to keep their engines clean which is most of us, a little warning!
The few cars that have the ECU controlled alternators, be warned, i didnt get mine that wet yet it has failed
These are NOT repairable items, and you may find they are not covered under warranty for instances like this.
They are circa 600 quid for a replacement
Easiest way to tell if you have one of these on your car is the 3 pin plug that connects to the alternator has S L C on, the standard ones just have S L.
Be warned

Tony
Old 26 November 2005, 01:27 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tony for the info although my car is WRX MY03 has this problem with the alternator when cold few months ago, noise similar with cambelt tensioner but more deep, seems that bearing has gone and when hot the noise is more "chug"!
Dealer refused to change it as he claim is belt related (another dealer confirmed it's the alternator), I'll change both alternator-compressor belts next week just to proove them they are wrong!
JIM
Old 26 November 2005, 02:38 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Are these alternators specific to STI's or could newage WRX's have them..? (Cant be botherd to look too damm cold..!) Not that I wash my engine, never thought it was a good idea anyway, however having cut away the off side bonnet seal (colder/better air feed) I can get a few splashes when it's very wet outside..!
Old 26 November 2005, 03:09 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

all subarus have them from about 02-03 onwards as said above if it's got it it will have 3 wires in the green plug if theres only 2 then you got a normal alt set up.