Notices

faulty bearing on shaft in the gearbox!!!

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2005, 01:55 PM
Raartoot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default faulty bearing on shaft in the gearbox!!!

Good day all on this lovely n warm afternoon in front of the fire, Full Blast...

Right then, basically Ive had this annoying rattle coming through my gearstick,(my00 UK turbo) it sounds like its inside my gearbox, read this thread, its exactly the same prob for me http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=453308 Anyway, Im going for it, im gonna get my kind cousin to take the gearbox off and strip it down, now if it is the same prob as CJK (worn bearing on one of the Shafts in the gearbox - I asked) then how much am I looking at for a new bearing???? and while its stripped down is there anything I could do while its out, obviously clean it out but things like changing seals or owt???

Also Ive noticed im getting fumes like Burning oil, Now there is no Drips, so is it possible that the Seal which is slightly perished (ive checked and there is some build up) as the shaft enters the gearbox be the cause of this Smell, It only comes when I give it some led foot ...

Has anyone had this same prob???

Advice and help most welcom and much appreciated!!!
Old 27 November 2005, 02:05 PM
Raartoot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....Thread aint working!!!!!!!!......

Heres the original post from member HHH, sorry CJK had the same probs too, must be last nights brandy getting me confused heres the post :

Hi all,
I own a MY00 and recently I have been getting a rattle type noise coming from the centre of the dash when I put my foot down. As Ive gained some speed, ie 20 mph + I can hear like a knocking/dull rattle coming from the gearbox/centre console.
The noise has got gradually louder.
I popped in to Kwik Fit where my pal works and we stuck the scoob on the ramp and while it was on the ramp (all 4 wheels in the air) I drove the car as you normally would. My mate stood underneath and he said he could hear a rattle/knocking noise coming from the gearbox or around it.
However there are no problems changing through the gears and there is no oil leak.
Has anyone got any suggestions or had a similar problem? Is my gearbox or diff on its way out? Any help appreciated!