Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2005, 10:09 AM
JBJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scary Oil Pressure

Hi
Hope someone can answer my question for me,

Whilst driving today the check engine light flicked on then off, at the same time the Power Commander unit read a Knock value of 52 (running on Optimax). After this the oil pressure has been very low at idle dropping as low as 0.5 bar then moving back up to 2 bar. Also the oil pressure doesn’t appear to be rising when I accelerate it stays around 2 bar occasionally flicking up to 4 at the most and sometimes even drooping to around 1bar.

Any ideas or suggestions of what I should check/do.
Old 21 December 2005, 10:38 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

check the connections and leads between the oil gauge and the sender first.
The CEL flashed when the knock count was over 40.

what has happened to make a count over 50?
Old 21 December 2005, 10:55 AM
JBJ
Scooby Regular

Hi
thanks for the reply

I have no idea what happened to get the knock count so high I was on boost but not really going for it hard or changing gear. I havent seen the count above 17 before so this is a new one for me, it was only for a split second as well, the light flashed and then went off.

cheers
Old 21 December 2005, 01:25 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

could be a missfire?
fuel cut?
do you have an avc-r in there? I had a few issues with settings A&B and iirc the powerFC hits fuel cut if you go 0.2bar over set limit.

with the fuel pressure at 0.5bar (exceedingly low) I would have thought even the crappy OE sensor would have thrown a CEL
Old 21 December 2005, 01:51 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ighlight=knock
that was the start of my investigation into a similar thing, be advised though that at no point have I had oil pressure issues, that was just for high knock counts.

normal background reading = approx 8/9
highest ever = 71
Old 21 December 2005, 02:23 PM
JBJ
Scooby Regular

Thanks again for the help, having just checked the car i have found that the dipstick at the front is showing no oil in the engine, this is strange as I checked it Saturday and it was full.
So I've put around 3 litres of oil in and strangely the front dipstick is telling me its still empty.

This is getting strange, my first 2 weeks of Scooby ownership have been very mixed.

So any one any ideas?
Old 21 December 2005, 02:56 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

do an oil change, you dont know where it could be leaking from,
rocker covers?
filter?

oil change procedure is reasonably simple (1.5 haynes spanners?) and you will know that the full 4.5L (ON A CLASSIC!!!) of oil is in place, then monitor it each day, make a note in a diary to keep it fresh/real.

good luck, their frustrating cars when theyre not well but get it up and running sweet and you will be smiles all the way
Old 21 December 2005, 03:51 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JBJ
Thanks again for the help, having just checked the car i have found that the dipstick at the front is showing no oil in the engine, this is strange as I checked it Saturday and it was full.
So I've put around 3 litres of oil in and strangely the front dipstick is telling me its still empty.

This is getting strange, my first 2 weeks of Scooby ownership have been very mixed.

So any one any ideas?
Blinkin Ink.
The car only just holds over 4 litres, Id be surprised if it would Run on 1 litre. As with all High performance cars , it used a little oil over 100's of miles. But that is ridiculess, If it was a leak you would see that amount for sure:O

& if it was burning it , Nobody else would be able to see behind you !!
Very Odd

Dean
Old 21 December 2005, 10:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

This is worrying now......

You can put in 4 litres from empty of oil and NOTHING will show on the dipstick.

Saying that its been ran in a condiion with little oil in the sump almost certaintly will cause oil surge issues on a hard start/braking/cornering.

The knock problems probably picked up the noise of oil starved bearings rattling. This accompanied with oil pressure fluctuations, and you saying you have put in 3litres to no effect on the dipstick almost certainly points to starvation.

I strongly suggest you do not drive the car. Get a cylinder compression and leak down test done on all cylinders and a pressure test on the cooling system...that oil must have gone somewhere!

Ultimately it may have to have an engine strip down to inspect for bearing damage caused by the starvation. Hopefully it will be the case that you've caught it before it did any damage to the crank journals.