Notices

MY96 Steering wheel judder at 40mph+

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2006, 06:59 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy MY96 Steering wheel judder at 40mph+

Hi Guys, Posted here as not could be drive train / suspension / wheels etc.

Anyway, the problem is that I am getting a strong vibration feedback through the steering wheel. it starts at about 40mph and as the speed increases so does the vibration/judder. at about 60mph - 70mph it is at it's worse and very noticable!!! even glancing at my hands on the steering wheel you can visibly see the shaking. as you go up to 85 - 90mph the vibrations ease off and are less noticable (not as bad as at 60-70 but still very much noticable.)

My initial thought was that I'd thrown a weight on one of the front wheels so I got both front wheels rebalance today, they said they are well balanced anyway but i asked them to redo both regardless and get them spot on which they did.

So after leaving the garage headed out to the motorway and steadily increased my speed and same result, vibration starts around 40mph and are at there worse about 60-70 and ease off a little at 80+.

I've discounted the rear wheels being unbalance as the vibration from that would be felt more through the car asa whole, this is definitly through the steering alone.

At the weekend just to be sure i'm going to change the wheels round and see if it makes any difference.

Cars booked in for MOT on 25th jan and have notified the scooby garage of the problem which they will look into when it's MOT'd.

Has anyone else experienced this before are got any suggestions on what it could be?

Just to clarify car is an MY96 Impreza Turbo (UK) saloon.

Thanks in advance for any help.

EK
Old 05 January 2006, 07:07 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

Warped disks or trakrod end or ball joint
Old 06 January 2006, 11:51 AM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by DIPSY
Warped disks or trakrod end or ball joint

Is there any easy way of telling if it is a warped disc?
Old 06 January 2006, 11:56 AM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Unhappy hmm

oh and just to add, I don't feel any adverse wobbling or vibration through the brakes when braking, even under heavy braking there is no vibrations or feedback through the brake pedal, it is purely through the steering wheel.
Old 06 January 2006, 02:23 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Tyre distorted out of shape perhaps - had this on a MKIV gold but never on the subaru, although I think the wheel balancing exercise should have picked this up.

TT
Old 06 January 2006, 03:02 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Might be worth swapping front and rear wheels just to rule 'em out...
Old 06 January 2006, 03:04 PM
Petrolhead35
Scooby Newbie

Had a similar problem with a 530 BM last year. Turned out to be a combination of badly warped discs, that strangely did not transmit through the pedal, and a worn steering rack. Have had badly warped disks on an early impreza before upgrading to 4 pots, but it was never transmitted through the wheel unless braking. Suspect you may have loose or worn suspension or steering part, or as indicated by somone else a tyre problem.

I would certainly check the wheels and tyres first.
Old 09 January 2006, 01:20 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Unhappy might have found the problem

Well took the car back to the garage where I got the wheels balanced and asked them if they could balance the rear ones to rule them out. the same guy as last time was a little bemused and asked me to go into more depth about the problem, anyway he put the car up on those big **** 3000kg lift things and said he'd have a look at the front wheels and check for play etc.

What he noticed was that the passenger (near side?) wheel itself was pretty hot compared to the drivers side wheel which was cold. Said it would indicate that the brakes were binding. had a quick look at the rubber seals on the calipers pistons have worn and cracked, possibly allowing some dirt in causing them not to retract properly and thus causing the brake pad to constantly rub the disc.

They said they could strip the brakes and caliper, clean it up and replace the seals for £15 +VAT +Parts for each side. does that sound like a good price?

I phoned the scooby garage as it's booked in for MOT on 18th but they said for labour alone they charge about £72 +parts and VAT per wheel!!!!!!

What do you guys think of this? I know it needs to be done before the MOT or it will fail.

EK.
Old 09 January 2006, 03:04 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

i would have thought that you could clarify yourself wether it was a warped disc or brakes binding. not teaching you to suck oval brittle things but if you jack the front end up and spin the wheel/s can you hear adverse noise/binding compared to other side if so then. also after a small drive how does one side compare to the other, is one disc hotter than the other. how did this problem arise was it sudden or gradual . headache
Old 09 January 2006, 04:28 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

it was pretty sudden, just one da it started vibrating so thought it must be an imbalance in the wheel. there's been no other indicators apart from a hot wheel noticed when i took to the garage on sat. no squeeling of brakes or anything else noticable to indicate a brake issue hence why i was a little bemused.

EK