Notices

Top mount intercooler upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2006, 11:01 AM
Petrolhead35
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Top mount intercooler upgrade question

Hello everyone this is my first posting, looks to be a great site with plenty going on.

Can any of you knowledgable people out ther help please?

I have a 95 STI 2 and want to change the TMIC for a larger one. I have found a suitable item though is advertised as for MY02 on.

I appreciate the BOV is fitted to the intercooler on later facelift cars, and sits in a slightly different position to mine which is the angled one.

Will this larger one i have found fit my car and if so what mods do i need to make to the hoses etc. I obviously would require to change to the newer style BOV as well.

Thanks
Old 06 January 2006, 11:16 AM
sti69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi mate not sure if yours is the slanty type i/c if so then i upgraded mine to a sti v4 type check my thread below.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=476597

Welcome to the site mate
Old 06 January 2006, 02:51 PM
Petrolhead35
Scooby Newbie

Hi STI69,

Thanks for the response, doesnt look as simple as i first thought, but not impossible.
I am of course making the assumption that i am going to see some significant power increase. Maybe someone can advise? As i intend to do some other mods at the same time.

If it is not likely to reap much further benefits then may not be worth doing. Having said that if it reduces the risk of detonation from running higher boost, may be worth it from purely a safety point of view.

The reason i had thought of a larger TMIC was so as not to get the pressure drop with a FMIC that i believe is often experienced.

Currently the car is standard with the exception of a magnex full system and after market BOV. Ball valve to increase boost marginally.

On the rolling road it made 291BHP and 235lb/ft torque. Fitted a ballvalve to increase boost marginally and got 298BHP and 250lb/ft torque. Did not remove the fuel cut off and so sometimes on a cold morning can have fuel cut out (Can this do any damage?). Also I would say slightly overfueling as i now get a backfire when changing between 1 and 2 mid revs.

Next mods are to be :

Very light flywheel Exeedy approx 4-5kg. Twin plate clutch. Light weight pulleys and a decent set of headers.

And then the intercooler whether Top or front mount.

I want to get up around the 340-350 BHP mark with similar figure for torque, so if notr acheived with the above the next would probably be increasing boost further with apexi boost controller, bigger fuel pump and injectors, but since i am fairly new to turbo cars, is all a bit of a guessing game as to what to fit.

Any ideas or comments would be most welcome.
Old 06 January 2006, 03:55 PM
sti69
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi mate your bhp figures are pretty good although if you decide to upgrade your i/c then you'll need to open up your splitter to allow more air flow cos its shaped like your slanty i/c.

Since optimax has stopped ive been using tesco99 with octane booster and ive been having lots of fuel cut and as a result my gearbox has destroyed 3rd gear (now getting re-built at a cost of £800+vat) it may be a coincadance it blow up but i shall never know

Also mate ive been told the standard sti gearboxes can cope upto 350bhp so you'll be pushing it to its limit.

You should invest in a knocklink (if you've not already) and keep using octane booster if you havnt had a re-map.

Have fun mate
Old 06 January 2006, 04:29 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will not see a significant power hike with the TMIC, but you will notice that the good power/torque you have will last longer as the IC has a greater 'cooling' capacity.
To maximise the benefit you MUST open up the shield under the scoop to mach as much as possible the new TMIC.
To get more cooling fit a water spray system to the TMIC as in the way Subaru fitted it to the RA's. Search on the threads and you will find tons of info/methods.
Fuel cut as you know is a very violent event and will shock the trans just when the turbo is giving all and everything is wound-up to max (which is why it happens).
Beware! It tends to happen in 3rd and the results to that 'delicate' Impreza gear can be BAD as Sti 69 knows.

Why fit a twin plate? They are at least £1000 to buy.
For 1000 you can have an AP organic (350) and an Apexi FC fitted and mapped by AndyF for 700 or so.
That will sort the fuel cut, give far better drivability, and a robust clutch that will cope EASY with your engine.

Graham.

407 bhp x 370 lbft, AP organic for 3 years and Apexi FC by AndyF.
http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?use...entTime=131625

Last edited by 911; 06 January 2006 at 04:32 PM.