Notices

can faulty Idle Air control solenoid cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2006, 03:56 PM
sti007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can faulty Idle Air control solenoid cause this?

Hi all,
I've searched all past posts related to my problem but haven't been able to find a definate solution so I would be very grateful of some help please.
I started to have idling probs a few weeks ago with caused the CEL to come on. I read the fault codes and it said there was a problem with the idle air control solenoid. I was going to take this off and give it a clean but after a couple of days the car seemed to be idling a lot better. The problem I have now is that the car under heavy acceleration is very hesitant and sometimes pops a small amount of smoke on boost, the power also seems to be down. The MAF is new so I know its not that. The car is a 96 Sti. Could the Idle solenoid be causing these problems, or could it be a faulty lambda sensor that is not showing up in the ECU codes? I've read that coil packs could be a possible cause but I had my plugs replaced last year and the garage didn't mention the coil packs were in a bad way. Any help would be gratefully appreciated as the car just doesn't drive the same any more.
Old 06 January 2006, 10:26 PM
scooby dancer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti007
Hi all,
I've searched all past posts related to my problem but haven't been able to find a definate solution so I would be very grateful of some help please.
I started to have idling probs a few weeks ago with caused the CEL to come on. I read the fault codes and it said there was a problem with the idle air control solenoid. I was going to take this off and give it a clean but after a couple of days the car seemed to be idling a lot better. The problem I have now is that the car under heavy acceleration is very hesitant and sometimes pops a small amount of smoke on boost, the power also seems to be down. The MAF is new so I know its not that. The car is a 96 Sti. Could the Idle solenoid be causing these problems, or could it be a faulty lambda sensor that is not showing up in the ECU codes? I've read that coil packs could be a possible cause but I had my plugs replaced last year and the garage didn't mention the coil packs were in a bad way. Any help would be gratefully appreciated as the car just doesn't drive the same any more.
was the ecu reset when maf replaced?? sounds like your idle soleniod needs a clean when driving the ecu is trying to centre point the idle as like in gear at very low revs car will be lumpy/jurky as revs will be up down up down i had ecu code 24 after stipping and cleaning sensor it was better and would tickover but still not smooth in the end payed out for a new idle air solenoid for a painfull 195pounds and made my car mint be careful though have you checked the ecu codes as mafs can go like fuses i have a air/fuel gauge and
driving a car that is getting leaner and leaner till bang is not good when my maf started to fail the gauge reading were scary!! reset your ecu then drive the car then read the memory again see what you get?
Old 07 January 2006, 01:38 PM
sti007
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply mate. I reset the ECU when i changed the MAF and i also put the air filter back to standard as the HKS could have been the cause. The MAF was the expensive one so I didn't want to risk it!! When the MAF went the car was so jerky it would nearly put me through the windscreen, this problem seems different. Could the idle solenoid really cause hesitation when putting the power down? I will take it out and give it a good clean. Thanks again for your reply.
Old 12 January 2006, 07:48 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Hi

It really sounds like the idle control solenoid to me mate,good luck

JIM