Notices

Boost issues

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2006, 11:36 PM
j joyce
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost issues

Howya. Just got my my99Turbo fitted with a new exhaust leaving just the downpipe cat and manifold as standard but i've run into problems with what i think is overboosting.I'm running on a standard ECU,so can i get that remapped or go for a new ECU altogether.Also a mate of mine has a Greddy Profec D01 Boost controller lying around after an abandoned Rx7 project(it was skip on wheels) and would that be a wise purchase and fitment?
Old 03 February 2006, 10:18 AM
impreza.dk
Scooby Regular

What is the problem you experience? fuel cut?

It is very unlikely that removing the middle cat and change the tail pipe will result in over boosting unless you have some other mods as well. You could use a bost controller to reduce the boost which will eliminate fuel cut.

Last edited by impreza.dk; 03 February 2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03 February 2006, 05:00 PM
scoobie-shieldy
Scooby Regular

i get overboost periodically, i have been imformed its due to the air temp

myself i have got a 3" decat pipe from turbo manifold straight thru to a 5" slash box, and air filter fitted, ecu reset and i still get the overboost
Old 04 February 2006, 08:44 PM
j joyce
Scooby Regular

The only other mods are a K&N induction kit which from reading through the forums seems to upset the MAF sensor on my99 so possibly a problem there.Anyone any ideas on how to spot a failing MAF? I have a fluttering idle and severe lack of boost but no other problems with that.
Old 04 February 2006, 08:50 PM
impreza.dk
Scooby Regular

That could be a defect MAF sensor. There are numerous things that could relate to a defect MAF sensor. The K&N is not that bad unless you apply to much or to little oil to the filter after cleaning. The only thing you could try is to change it. If no effect is shown just save the MAF - you will need it for troubleshooting at a later time
Old 05 February 2006, 03:58 PM
j joyce
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply folks. I'll try a new MAF sensor tomorrow and hopefully will have good news.
Old 08 February 2006, 09:29 PM
j joyce
Scooby Regular

I replaced the MAF earlier today and it solved the idling problems straight away which was great but unfortunately the boost through the gears is still way off norm.The dump valve whistle seems to be louder and it almost sounds like its leaking boost as the pressure builds as the dump valve chirp when changing gears etc is quieter than before.And the car is running so rich that when i walked around the back of the car my eyes almost started watering.Anyone got any ideas as to where i should troubleshoot next?I'm heading up to a Scooby meet in N.Ireland at the end of the month and want to have her sorted before then if at all possible.