Notices

Things to do on startup....

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2006, 11:48 AM
kalv
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things to do on startup....

I have a '96 WRX import (Decat, HKS, 15psi) and over the last few weeks when it's been cold or damp (am or pm) if i try and drive away after starting, the car stutters alot and then wakes up and moves of fine.

If i rev it a bit higher (around 2000rpm) and then pull of dropping the clutch slowly then it's ok...? However, if i get to traffic lights or a roundabout then it idles just below 1000rpm and sounds as if it's about to stall... which makes pulling away scary again especially if an on-coming car is heading my way!

This only happens for the first five minutes of driving and once the engines warmed up (i hope) and i try to tap the pedal it shoots off fine...?I've tried leaving the car running for a few minutes before i drive it of and it still happens, but just a little bit.

It's currently done 100K and had an oil/air filter service recently. Is there any steps/health-checks to do on startup in general like there are on cool down after a drive?
Old 08 February 2006, 02:09 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

I don't have that problem but my car always takes a few mines to warm up. i get a lot of engine wobble/looks like mis fire. onliy for a few mines. then is fine... not sure why.

if you have time, just wait till you see the rev's drop.

G.
Old 08 February 2006, 03:17 PM
kalv
Scooby Regular

I always try to do that, but with all these reports about people warming there cars up and theives just jumping in the car and driving of i'm a little but against the idea.. don't really want to sit in the car or stand outside watching it for 10minutes.. fine line.. just got to choose...
Old 08 February 2006, 09:15 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Idling the engine when cold will cause damage for several reasons..The engine will run rich for longer at idle than in gentle driving and petrol will dilute the oil lubricating your engine.The gearbox and diff oils will not be warm when you start to give the car some stick so will not be upto operating temperatures.Just drive it gently until its warmed up
Old 08 February 2006, 09:54 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

are you saying idling is bad? i start the car 3 or 4 mins before i go out. still have a good 10 min warm up time before i boot it.

G.
Old 09 February 2006, 10:13 AM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

It's the dreaded cluth judder me thinks. Mine's like it for a few minutes everytime the weather's a bit damp. Bit of a pain in the ****, but you get used to it