Notices

anybody got an my98 august

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2006, 04:42 PM
flickthebean
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody got an my98 august

Hi folks went to holcrofts in widnes today for a maf sensor.I went home to put it on when i looked at mine it was totally different.I phoned them up to tell then they had supplied me with the wrong part and that i would need the full unit at £300+ .The one they gave me was held in place with 2 bolts were as mine is 4 bolts.this is for a my98 august model
Old 15 February 2006, 01:47 PM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

If they took the chassis number off the car then it should be the right one. Sounds like your car is a MY98 which has the maf in the housing whereas the MY99 maf can be removed and replaced by itself. The older ones are much more expensive but not as prone to failure. Are you sure the maf is at fault ?
Old 15 February 2006, 02:02 PM
flickthebean
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KenS55STI
If they took the chassis number off the car then it should be the right one. Sounds like your car is a MY98 which has the maf in the housing whereas the MY99 maf can be removed and replaced by itself. The older ones are much more expensive but not as prone to failure. Are you sure the maf is at fault ?
Not certain but tickover is a bit up and down but yes it is the one which is in the housing.They gave me the one that can be removed.But why can't mine be removed there are 4 bolts that seem to be holding it in place it looks like it can be removed but not tried
Old 16 February 2006, 09:22 AM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

I had an STI4 MY98 up until last month and when I first got it I was worried about the maf being knackered because the tickover was up and down a bit when cold. I had it checked out by prosport in stockport and it showed the oxygen sensor needed replacing, had that done but still wasn't happy so they looked at it again and found the plugs needed changing. It was a lot better after that but I still wasn't happy so I went back and to put my mind at rest they took the maf off one of their own cars thet they knew was ok and let me try that. I drove the car and it was exactly the same proving my own maf was OK. That was at 40k, it had 79k on when I sold it with the same maf.

Before you go and spend all that money get it checked out and make sure it is actually causing the problem. Prosport told me the mafs on pre 99 cars were very robust. They tend to burn off any contamination when they heat up.

Might be worth giving prosport a call, they are only 20 miles from you and have always given me good service. I've been going there for 5 years and have had 3 cars. 0161 432 9999.