Notices

Just done vta...

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2006, 06:02 PM
Hakon
Supporting Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just done vta...

Should I be able to hear any sound from the open pipes ? Seem to get odd sound when prodding the throttle. Also, both open ended pipes have a negative pressure at idle, doesn't seem right to me for some reason. Any thoughts....

Hakon
Old 14 February 2006, 06:55 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

What is this mod?
Old 14 February 2006, 07:53 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

errr, think you may have made a bit of a mistake installing this. Sorry if you've not and i'm pointing out the obvious.

The recirc line, about 1" bore that runs behind the intercooler into the turbo inlet hose should be blanked off, or you will have running troubles. This is important.

The vacuum line from the inlet manifold, about 1/6" dia. should be reduced in size then fitted to the vta.

No flow should be going in or out of the vta that you can feel.

Dave
Old 14 February 2006, 08:10 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

IIRC, You can get -ve at idle as both crank and heads breath in as well as out (esp heads).

This was my initial worry as it is unfiltered air, however I've been assured by some very experienced scoob people (read the oricle's of the scoob world ) that it is not a problem.

One thing I've recently thought of though is what happens if you have to go through a deeply flooded road..?!!

About to do this mod in the next week BTW..!

PS Hakon, have you noticed any exhaust smells and where have you terminated your breathers..?

Last edited by jasonius; 14 February 2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 14 February 2006, 08:40 PM
Hakon
Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies,

Dave, thanks for the concern but I think I have done it correctly,
1. T cam breathes and vent to atmos. Block original return.
2. The last hose just before turbo inlet (crank) cut and block to inlet and take other part to vent to atmosphere.
3. If I have it wrong after a week of 'search' then take me out back and shoot me

Jasonius, Yes a little worried about sucking in stuff, but I think the hose ends would have to be submerged. Think I will get a can of some sort and then move the final hose exit further under the car. Yes smells when stationary, a little unnerving.....
Terminated hose...... downpipe side just above wishbone, dangling at the moment......maybe to be moved under the car more when I can be bothered to get under it.

Hakon
Old 15 February 2006, 11:27 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Have you blocked the PCV hose going into throttle body..!

Just to be clear:

OEM:
The crank breather comes off the block (just under front edge of IC) and into a 't'. One side goes to air inlet duct the other to the PCV valve under throttle body (this is what sucks air out of crankcase during off boost driving/idle (PCV)).

Therefore, including rocker vent, you need to bung 3 hoses (2 into air inlet duct and 1 back to throttle body/PCV). Obviously the crank hose is then vented to atmos (pref. via a longish hose towards the rear of car.)

If this is what you've done then I'm sorry for sounding as if I'm patronising (sp?) you..!

This mod is one of those things that sounds far harder than it is, unfortunately this can lead to confusion given some of the discriptions of how it's done..!

LOL 0nly a weeks searching, I've been researching this for over a month..!
Old 15 February 2006, 12:35 PM
Hakon
Supporting Member

Jasonius,

I decided to follow the instructions here http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=487967

Essentially removing the cam and crank breathers to the turbo inlet pipe and venting them to atomsphere and blocking where they attached.

I didn't know about blocking the plenum return from the crank T, but it would seem unless you are ragging it most of the time then its debatable,,,

AndyF...."I have removed and plugged the PCV non return valve to eliminate any recirculation of gasses whatsoever. My reasons for this
1 - I don't need the corrosion protection as my car does not get used for short runs or town driving, every outing is a real 'toasting' !! I also change the oil frequently.
2 - I found that I was still getting some oil in the intake plenum, I think this was residual oil in the vent lines being drawn in when I went from boost to vacuum (ie each gear shift) This was giving me some transitional det"

What do you think ?

Hakon
Old 15 February 2006, 12:41 PM
Hakon
Supporting Member

Second picture down, I have connected my breather as the photo and left the free open part of the t as I found it ( still connected )

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=473401
Old 15 February 2006, 01:48 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

You need to plug the hose going to the throttle body as it will be sucking in unfiltered air directly into intake manifold, admittedly only under no boost conditions, however crap is still going to effect mixture and possible fu@k up the heads etc..!

The crankcase and heads do suck some air in, but this isn't supposed to be an issue as it's minimal and not effecting air/fuel ratio.

Good thread that you've pointed to, haven't seen this one. The second pic your refering to shows the 't' piece. Having not read through it yet I presume that the guy has removed the hose from the 't' to TB and plugged or even removed and plugged the PCV valve..?

Finally, there is another way of doing this (you may or may not be aware of) that retains the 'green' oem method yet removes some if not all blow-by from crankcase (this is debatable, but may be worth trying). Basically all you do is plumb a catch can/tank into the hose between 't' and air inlet, leaving the heads/rockers as standard and all other conectons as standard (crankcase appears to be main producer of blow-by). If you're aware of this, I'm again sorry for 'teaching you how to suck eggs'..!
Old 15 February 2006, 04:44 PM
Hakon
Supporting Member

Good info Jasonius, not mentioned in many posts to block the TB pipe too, would seem as if people have forgotten that its still essentially connected to the unfiltered outside air. Trigger mass panic

Where did you come across blocking the TB info as I never found it.....? Not questioning you at all, looking for discussion

Are you going for a catch can ? I can't seem to find many with 3 ports, they are also a rip off for what they are...

Hakon
Old 15 February 2006, 09:16 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Most of the top scoob tuners recommend the mod and if your going total VTA than that's what they say to do..!

If you PM me your email address I'll send you some diagrams etc I had sent to me.

I've got a catch can on the way and it only has two ports so initially I'm only going to do crank vent. With the can you at least get some idea of the amount of oil being 'blow' out. Biggest problem as far as I can see is where to mount the bloody thing (esp. newage)..! Might end up ditching can and venting direct to air..!

BTW this not blocking TB/PCV hose is a classic example of how this 'simple' mods can be overly complicated and therefore fu@ked up... The only time you leave it inplace is if your keeping plumbing as std. only inserting a can as mentioned previously..
Old 15 February 2006, 09:34 PM
Hakon
Supporting Member

Jasonius,,, much appreciated. Obviously a week on search is just not enough !
Will rectify the problem tomorrow, was thinking of hiding the can behind and down from a suspension turret..... when I get one. Found a seller in the states for 10 USD buy it now (3 port) , would rather pay taxes and shipping than getting ripped by one of our own, matter of principle I suppose.

Cheers
Hakon