Notices

Remap - can they tell??

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2006, 11:24 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Remap - can they tell??

If i were to get my sti2.5 06 remapped would the Subaru main dealer be able to tell? or would they just think i got a fast one out of the factory?

In short - will it totally invalidate warranty on the car?

I get the feeling driving the car that there is a vast amount of potential there - not wanting to release all of it but think that 350BHP/350lbft torque has got to be a really viable option for a good, driveable car without too many mods.
Old 16 February 2006, 01:20 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

anyone?
Old 16 February 2006, 01:23 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dynamix
If i were to get my sti2.5 06 remapped would the Subaru main dealer be able to tell? or would they just think i got a fast one out of the factory?

I get the feeling driving the car that there is a vast amount of potential there - not wanting to release all of it but think that 350BHP/350lbft torque has got to be a really viable option for a good, driveable car without too many mods.
They would need a reason to look at the map in the first place! Not a standard service procedure. If you had an engine problem then they might, but I believe they would need the actual EcuTek software to detect changes?
Having said that, I would'nt think you're going to get 350/350 by mapping alone, even on a 2.5? You would need some hardware changes that will be rather obvious!
Let's hope they don't drive he thing in such a way as to realise that you have a "fast one"
JohnD
Old 16 February 2006, 01:28 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

cheers for the info.

350/350 shouldnt be a huge stretch for a 2.5 tho with a few breathing mods that can easily be unbolted should the need arise to make it less obvious.

looking at a switcheable tek remap that would be switched back to shopping car mode when needed.
Old 16 February 2006, 02:40 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eminently do-able. Don't think the select monitor will detect the remap, but as EcuTek gets more and more popular expect Subaru dealerships to know how to activate mapswitch
Old 16 February 2006, 03:21 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im sure when i asked this very same question a while ago Mr Rawle said select monitor can detect a remap IIRC
Old 16 February 2006, 03:28 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

you got a link to that thread?

cheers
Old 16 February 2006, 03:38 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by dynamix

I asked this sometime back for a classic and was told it would show on a select monitor but this was some 5 years back.
However if you do go this route and your engine/gearbox/drivetrain fails then i would imagine your warranty will not be worth the paper it is written on.

Perhaps the route you need to go is for a switchable map where you can go back to std at the flick of a button/switch. I would deffo tell your insurance co however!
Old 16 February 2006, 03:48 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

sounds like a good plan - have spoken to Clive Atthowe to see whether they can do a switchable map for the 2.5 - will see what comes back
Old 16 February 2006, 07:45 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Having a switchable map dosen't mean you keep the original map. You have two ecutek maps, one low tune the other high..! Not sure if the 06 can have switchable anyhow, I know my 05 couldn't. If you want economy keep it off boost..!

I recall reading that although the select monitor can't read the Ecutek code, it has a sort of anti-tamper programme that can show if (and when) the ecu was flashed..! Might be totally wrong with this, but sounds probable.

IMHO It comes down to how much the dealer/subaru want out of a claim..?

Out of interest, how many miles has you 06 done..? They don't really get going until they've seen >6k miles..!
Old 16 February 2006, 08:18 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

dynamix

Your main dealer won't be able to detect a Ecutek remap on the Select Monitor tool that they have.

However, it would/may show a possible increase in boost pressure which might alert them. Obviously a different exhaust system will have alarm bells ringing straight away.

Some people on here have very "friendly"dealers who are ok with some mods. The problem as always is I.M. If and when you engine/gearbox etc goes pop, they're try and wriggle out of paying. Hell, they tried to get out of warranty cover on grey imports.

It's another reason I went down the JDM route. Mod away without a care in the world.

Kevin
Old 16 February 2006, 10:56 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Kevin

was talking to the guys at powerstation about your post - looks like you're in for a discount on the next work they do for you

i should have done an import but the last sti i had was import and got thoroughly p'd off with being treated as a second claass citizzen by the subaru dealer network. this time i thought i would get the real deal although prob payed more for the priv (definitely).

to be honest with hindsight i dont care too much about th ewarranty as i think the cars are pretty reliable anyway but dont want to take massive gambles on that. I have had back box and centre de-resonated section + green air filter done and all of these would not be a prob for my local dealer.

the remap is the thing tho.... i really want to get this done... it will be done....the thought of 320,330 etc bhp and torque, driveability is too much of a lure not to do it. Will probably join one of the group buys sessions somewhere.

from what you say Powerstation are "the" guys and from speaking with them I was certainly impressed (pleeeeease can i have discount too )

ps - done 800 miles on new car ... just re-learning how to drive it after 1 yr in a legacy spec B.
Old 17 February 2006, 09:34 AM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I did the review with no thought of possible financial gain. I just wanted to give what I thought was a balanced and up front review of both companies. I work within the service industry and it's refreshing to have positive feedback instead of someone complaining (not that we get it wrong where I that work much ) If I can steer people to exceptional service, I'll do my bit in the same way that I hope people recommend the company I work for.

If you're concerned about warranty, perhaps you could buy a 3rd party one for peace of mind to cover the running gear. I don't know if you can have 2 policies running on one vehicle. I.M. could hardly say that the electric window stopped working because of a remap. No 3 piston coming through the bonnet may be different. However, from what I gather the newage in very reliable. Bit like the 3 year cover that Dixons sell you. How many times do the products they sell go wrong. It's just a numbers game in the end.

Get the right products from the right people and you're half way there.

Kevin
Old 17 February 2006, 09:44 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robocop
To be honest, I did the review with no thought of possible financial gain. I just wanted to give what I thought was a balanced and up front review of both companies. I work within the service industry and it's refreshing to have positive feedback instead of someone complaining (not that we get it wrong where I that work much ) If I can steer people to exceptional service, I'll do my bit in the same way that I hope people recommend the company I work for.

If you're concerned about warranty, perhaps you could buy a 3rd party one for peace of mind to cover the running gear. I don't know if you can have 2 policies running on one vehicle. I.M. could hardly say that the electric window stopped working because of a remap. No 3 piston coming through the bonnet may be different. However, from what I gather the newage in very reliable. Bit like the 3 year cover that Dixons sell you. How many times do the products they sell go wrong. It's just a numbers game in the end.

Get the right products from the right people and you're half way there.

Kevin
sorted - Powerstation it is then... if engine goes bang then i may regret this but if it doesnt then it will truly be worth it with smiles per mile value.

I hear that Ecutek are developing a switcheable map for the 06 MY that should be ready in a couple of months - maybe the right timing for me.

I agree with your sentiments on service. I run an ecommerce company selling lots of gear to average people and am delighted to receive good feedback - it always amazes me how much effort people put in to say thank you and how suprised they are that they got proper service. I guess in this day and age people are expecting cr@p service. We always try and suprise them by giving the service and flexibility that we would love as customers.

Personal recommendations (and a good price) are what I look for - i think most others do too.
Old 17 February 2006, 09:55 AM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

I'm not technical enough to understand the benefits of a switchable map. The new BMW M5 for example. Why would you spend £60k on a car with that performance and drive it around with "Diet Coke" 400bhp and not on "Full Fat" milk 507bhp? It reminds me of that film that was robbed at the Oscars "Fast and Furious". There's always an extra stage it can go to. Flick the extra boost switch, then the nitros and laptop under the seat etc etc. What next, strap a Acme rocket to the back of it?

Beep Beep

Kevin
Old 17 February 2006, 09:56 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

so my wife doesnt cane it when she is out in it
Old 17 February 2006, 10:03 AM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

Then the advanced multiplier will reduce from the maximum (16) and you'll performnce will drop to pensioner mode.

As Harry Enfield said "Women and cars NO".

Only joking ladies

Last edited by Robocop; 17 February 2006 at 10:05 AM.
Old 17 February 2006, 10:08 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

purfec....

as it is, the scoob is a big jump in power from her Punto anyway and remapped it would prob scare her to death