Notices

What would you go for..?

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2006, 08:12 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb What would you go for..?

05 WRX usual mods (ecutek/STI TM/decat etc) RR at PS 280/270, drivability is excellent and effortlessly rapid with the instant spool up.

Front brakes uprated (pads, hoses & fluid) many times better than std (yet to run out of brakes)..!

Rear end sorted: adj. ARB, DL. Full geom. setup

18" super leggs and T1-R's.

Suspension needs lowering and although I was thinking of PD spring kit (diy fitted) Powerstation's AST coilovers (SN GB) are beckoning me BIG time..!

Now handling is probably the only area of the car that I'm not 100% with (still to wobbly) so this would finnish things off nicely, however (now here's my Q's):

Do I go for the AST's or go for the PD spring kit and spend the saved money on a bigger turbo (td05 16g), injectors and remap..? (should be good for 330/330, but will it be much quicker in real world terms- see Andys latest 'project WRX'..!)

I'm leaning towards AST's as they're probably going to make more of a real world performance gain than more power (and hence lag)..

Any comments welcome..

Jason

PS forgot to mention some other mods:

horn, headlights & wipers..
Old 16 February 2006, 09:31 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what I will say.

Get a good, very good chassis first, and the AST's with 50/40 spring rates and an alignment by Curtis will get you a l o n g way there.
If you have all the right bits there (roll bars etc) then you will be astonished at the change and how EASY it is to drive fast and safe.

Then the 18g etc can come along, but that is a different story!

Buy them.

Graham
Old 17 February 2006, 04:48 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers Graham, it's your fault I'm now thinking of spending more wonga..!

It's funny this scoob thing as you start of by thinking 'if only I could afford that spring kit (~£300)', so you sort a few quid out, but then get tempted into something a little bit better (~£1k..!) thinking 'if I can sell a few bits that I take off...?'. Next thing you know you're thinking 'what else could that £1k buy..?'

Finally you end up spending the bit extra on the coilovers plus the same again on whatever the 'what else' may have been..!

It's a good job my wife's gullable..!

TBH after I'd written the post last night I answerd my own question as I'm happy with engine performance.... for now..!

Jason
Old 17 February 2006, 06:30 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife actually likes cars AND motorsport!
That actually makes it HARDER to 'slip one by' so to speak...

You only live once (I recon anyway) so enjoy it (without being wreckless).

A fast car is one with an easy to handle (drive) chassis, gobs of torque comes next (18g etc) and some mighty brakes (he says still on his stock Sti v3 brakes..)

After they are on and you take the first spring time sunday morning blatt across a clear dry challenging road you will not stop smiling...

Graham.