Notices

removal of headers

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2006, 03:59 PM
Reckless
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removal of headers

does the removal of headers and up pipe mean u have to remove the turbo on a 99 uk turbo any help would be appreciated as this just the start of my little project ! ps are there any stupid little but important things to remember while doing this ?
Old 19 February 2006, 05:06 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

I had to remove my turbo to get the up pipe out. I was told that you could just jack up that side of the engine to give you room to drop the up pipe, but I found it was easier to remove the turbo.

I had problems with the nuts on the turbo-up pipe, ended up cutting one off.

Best advice I can give is take your time and make sure you have everything you need first (like gaskets).
Old 19 February 2006, 06:36 PM
Reckless
Scooby Regular

Default bolts on the up pipe from headers

how many bolts are there on the up pipe from the headers plus how would i jack the engine up to gain the space needed to remove the up pipe bolts instead of taking the turbo of completely ? thanks
Old 19 February 2006, 07:22 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Having looked through the instructions I had it said to remove the turbo to get the up-pipe out. When I actually came to do it, having removed the turbo I found i could manover the pipe out from below. This was without jacking the engine. Bear in mind this was on a bugeye and done on a proper set of garage ramps. As said previously make sure you have all the bits you need prior to starting, then loosly fit check once,twice then a third time prior to tightening everything up. I didn't thought I was nearly done went to fit the coolant pipes and they where the wrong side of in inlet housing so had to strip down again OOPS. Best of luck Steve
Old 19 February 2006, 07:59 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I managed to remove one without removing the turbo, had to remove the nuts holding on the downpipe and move it out the way to access some nuts though.

Didn't have to jack the engine or anything like that.
Old 19 February 2006, 11:52 PM
Reckless
Scooby Regular

Default cheers lads but what is this pipe ?

looking @ the impreza head on so that u have passenger side on ur right hand side , now looking @ the headers on ur right hand side , what is the black pipe with 2 spring type circlips that runs down from near the rocker cover nairly right over the top of the header heat shield bolt is a water pipe or some type of breather ? plz help as this hindering me removing my headers ! (some times the simplest of things do ur head in the most)