Notices

knock correction?????

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2006, 06:40 PM
R25 sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knock correction?????

i have noticed that for the first time today that my secs monitor is showing up to 2.5 degrees correction,could it be the weather?
i didnt notice it this morning,filled up with fuel (optimax as normal) and then noticed it this afternoon.could it be fuel related?.one thing i did notice at the garage where i filled up most of the pumps were closed,could the fuel at the pumps be picking up water at the bottom of the tank if they were running low?.
could this have any effect.?????????
Old 19 February 2006, 06:55 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Chuck a bit of octane booster in it, that will show if its fuel related.

I had a really bad batch of fuel recently and needed a full bottle of NF
Old 19 February 2006, 07:03 PM
R25 sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveW
Chuck a bit of octane booster in it, that will show if its fuel related.

I had a really bad batch of fuel recently and needed a full bottle of NF
cheers.
ive just been reading about knocklinks and it seems bad fuel may be the problem.
Old 19 February 2006, 08:37 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it's not ADDING 2.5deg? My SECS sometimes shows a KC - usually on a run. It's actually adding advance to the base figure.
JohnD
Old 19 February 2006, 09:30 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Yeah-it should be showing added advance without knock-SECS in my bugeye shows as much as 9.5deg adv in different parts of the revrange.It only shows a max of 3deg (on medium/full throttle) if the ecu has just been reset, ie a safe level to start the learning cycle-as time goes on, if it doesnt see any det then it will add a bit more advance till it picks up a bit of det and then backs the advance off to a max safe level.
Theres a hell of a difference in power between 3 and 9.5adv.
If yours is staying at 2.5deg max, then theres a possability its seeing some det.
Best thing to do is to get someone to look at the display to see what it does while you accellerate in 3rd or 4th from about 2k revs.If the adv stays at 2.5max then reset the ecu and try again after a few hours of driving(so it can learn its adv parameters again).

Gary.
Old 20 February 2006, 08:37 AM
R25 sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by easyrider
Yeah-it should be showing added advance without knock-SECS in my bugeye shows as much as 9.5deg adv in different parts of the revrange.It only shows a max of 3deg (on medium/full throttle) if the ecu has just been reset, ie a safe level to start the learning cycle-as time goes on, if it doesnt see any det then it will add a bit more advance till it picks up a bit of det and then backs the advance off to a max safe level.
Theres a hell of a difference in power between 3 and 9.5adv.
If yours is staying at 2.5deg max, then theres a possability its seeing some det.
Best thing to do is to get someone to look at the display to see what it does while you accellerate in 3rd or 4th from about 2k revs.If the adv stays at 2.5max then reset the ecu and try again after a few hours of driving(so it can learn its adv parameters again).

Gary.

cheers,i think it is only adding advance by what you are saying.it dosnt hold 2.5 degrees it just flashes up for a second.this was only after a run of around 120miles.what made me worry was ive never seen it happen before.the ecu has been remapped so i dont think i should reset it.
Old 20 February 2006, 02:01 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by R25 sti
cheers,i think it is only adding advance by what you are saying.it dosnt hold 2.5 degrees it just flashes up for a second.this was only after a run of around 120miles.what made me worry was ive never seen it happen before.the ecu has been remapped so i dont think i should reset it.
You won't lose the map by re-setting.
I only tend to see a KC figure when on a fair run. general pootling around and the readout stays zero.
JohnD