Notices

starting and boost problems

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2006, 11:38 AM
Scoobyturbobug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting and boost problems

Please help cos im ready to sell this car its driving me nuts! The car is a uk spec my94, mods include z4 ecu, baily dump valve, sti intercooler, straight through exhaust, platenum spark plugs, HKS fuel cut deffence, k&n airfilter Firstly the car will not start from cold, the only way i can get it to start is by spraying cold start in to the air filter, or this is the wierd part or by replacing the ecu with one off a legacy turbo, also while im cranking the engine over with the Z4 in place i can hear the boost solenoid clicking like mad is this normal? once its running it idles great but when driving it only reaches around 6psi. Ive replaced the water temp sender, checked the MAF, changed the idle control valve, but now im lost for ideas. please please help any ideas you guys have will be appreciated.
thanks

Last edited by Scoobyturbobug; 20 February 2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 20 February 2006, 07:11 PM
Scoobyturbobug
Scooby Regular

After reading other peoples problems on here I think it may be worth changing the crank and cam sensors, does this sound logical? or am i looking in the wrong area? PLEASE HELP
Old 20 February 2006, 07:34 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

if you replace the ecu and it is fine then I would say it is an ecu issue.
I would done an ecu reset, then go for a drive and see if you get a cel on. If you do then read the error codes. Do a search and you will find a website and the procedure for doing the reset/check
Old 20 February 2006, 10:07 PM
Scoobyturbobug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
if you replace the ecu and it is fine then I would say it is an ecu issue.
I would done an ecu reset, then go for a drive and see if you get a cel on. If you do then read the error codes. Do a search and you will find a website and the procedure for doing the reset/check
I thought it was the ecu as well so i went out and bought another second hand one and the same thing keeps happening, its just very odd that a legacy ecu works but an impreza one wont?
Old 20 February 2006, 11:02 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Get a legacy ECU then

Andy
Old 21 February 2006, 09:23 AM
Scoobyturbobug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
Get a legacy ECU then

Andy
I wish it was that simple! Legacy's have smaller turbos etc so aint good for my engine plus the Z4 ecu I just bought has about 60bhp more than the legacy. I hate cars
Old 21 February 2006, 10:59 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

What ECU is that car supposed to have in it and why have you changed it to a Z4 in the first instance (ignoring current problems)

Andy

Trending Topics

Old 21 February 2006, 11:04 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

By the way I don't think easy start / cold start is any more volatile than petrol so it shouldn't make a difference. That stuff was developed for diesel engines.
Must be a cold start fuelling issue and the spray gives it enough to get going until warm.
I assume the parts you've already fitted (water temp sender etc) were new and not second hand?

Andy
Old 21 February 2006, 04:35 PM
Scoobyturbobug
Scooby Regular

All the parts I have fitted are second hand unfortunately but I was assured by a good friend that they worked fine before they were removed, I replaced the ecu from a W9 to a Z4 basically because I thought my W9 ecu was knackered so replaced it with the Z4 as this gives out more power. As it starts with cold start I origonally thought it was a cold start problem untill the other day when the road was dry and I booted it and it would only boost to 6psi, so im guessing now that it might be crank/ cam sensors.
I have no idea why a Legacy ecu works and impreza doesnt, I think im just gonna ignore that issue as its confusing me even more, I know the 2 ecu's have different timing curves etc so maybe this is why?
Old 26 February 2006, 10:11 PM
Scoobyturbobug
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

ive just found 2 coil packs cracked underneath the rubber boot where the spark plug goes do you think this is the reason the car wont start and only boosts to 6psi? please help i dont know if this would be enough of a problem for the car not to start