Notices

which fuel pressure regulators are good quality?

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2006, 05:28 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default which fuel pressure regulators are good quality?

im in need of a fpr for my myoo. could someone tell me which ones are decent quality,ive heard that the sx are good but there a bit expensive,i would use my standard fpr but i carnt get hold of an adaptor to use it with my parallel fuel mod. its the only thing stopping me starting up my car. any advise is really apreciated. thanks
Old 25 February 2006, 05:44 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a FSE regulator. Only snag is due to it's size where you locate it. Had it fitted below the induction kit for a while ok but plenty of rubber piping that could eventually rub through. Last night I fitted a 7 bar pressure gauge and relocated it to a bolt that holds the servo vaccum pipe to the bulkhead just back from the fuel filter. To fit in this location you will need to buy some 3.5mm bore pipe ask when purchasing the regulator I got two metres and had some spare Not sure if 1.5 m would be sufficient better safe than sorry when buying pipe. There should be no need top buy new fuel pipe as some comes with the kit. I will be taking some pictures for another thread so i will try to get some of the regulator in place and post them up for you to see.
Steve
Old 25 February 2006, 08:11 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Aeromotive and SX seem to be the ones of choice on here.
I'm running an FSE as well but a lot of people say they are a bit hit n'd miss as to whether you get a good one or not, cant say how true that is as mine has been fine at 3.1 BAR for 2 ish years.

Andy
Old 25 February 2006, 09:18 PM
Dannno
Scooby Regular

I have just changed my fse for an sx as my fse has given up the ghost after 1 year . if you look at the two regs side by side you can see where the extra money goes.
Originally Posted by rentonone
im in need of a fpr for my myoo. could someone tell me which ones are decent quality,ive heard that the sx are good but there a bit expensive,i would use my standard fpr but i carnt get hold of an adaptor to use it with my parallel fuel mod. its the only thing stopping me starting up my car. any advise is really apreciated. thanks
Old 25 February 2006, 10:03 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

What sort of HP will you be at before you need to fit an uprated effort. I'm at about 320 on the standard one, walbro 255, oe 440 injectors. Should I be looking to upgrade lads?
Old 26 February 2006, 01:38 AM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

cheers lads! ive spoke to mef,hes making me an adaptor so i can use my standard regulator with my fuel mod. excuse me im pissed out my face.
Old 26 February 2006, 08:18 AM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
What sort of HP will you be at before you need to fit an uprated effort. I'm at about 320 on the standard one, walbro 255, oe 440 injectors. Should I be looking to upgrade lads?
im about 330 mate i hope,off to be mapped again as soon as i get the adaptot to use my stock fpr. thanks

Trending Topics

Old 26 February 2006, 09:58 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
It's not so much the HP directly, more about what fuel pressure and flow the pump can supply.

In the begining it was thought that the walbro pump would overcome the standard FPR, but that seems to not be the case now, many a Walbro 255ltr an hr pumps fitted by moi now to various different cars (not just scoobs) and they all seem quite happy with thier respective standard fuel pressure regulator.

I doubt I'd be happy allowing the standard FPR to regulate things with a bosch 044 pump though. Could be proven wrong though, often am.

The only thing nice about non standard FPR's is their "adjustability"
But again on a scoob, the standard one runs around 3 BAR at idle and now I have 740cc injectors in mine, fitted the FSE and adjusted the fuel pressure to... yup around 3 BAR at idle.

The only useful thing about having it remotely mounted is the fuel line now runs round the bulkhead and not across the engine, so hopefully it gathers less heat that way.

Andy
Old 26 February 2006, 12:03 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

been looking into doing a parallel fuel mod on my 94plate,im running with a uprated pump and 440cc injectors,have already checked the fuel pressure and its about 3bar on the standard fpr.Surely if the standard fpr can produce 3bar and you can get a adapter made for the standard fpr so that you can carry out the parallel mod, isn't a adjustable fpr a waste of money?i can see the point of one in some cases.eg,BIG BHP like drag racing etc,i think some of the time its a case of people thinking they need something just because someone else has got/fitted one when they havent done the research into what the capablites of what there standard one is up to.
Old 26 February 2006, 12:05 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
It's not so much the HP directly, more about what fuel pressure and flow the pump can supply.

In the begining it was thought that the walbro pump would overcome the standard FPR, but that seems to not be the case now, many a Walbro 255ltr an hr pumps fitted by moi now to various different cars (not just scoobs) and they all seem quite happy with thier respective standard fuel pressure regulator.

I doubt I'd be happy allowing the standard FPR to regulate things with a bosch 044 pump though. Could be proven wrong though, often am.

The only thing nice about non standard FPR's is their "adjustability"
But again on a scoob, the standard one runs around 3 BAR at idle and now I have 740cc injectors in mine, fitted the FSE and adjusted the fuel pressure to... yup around 3 BAR at idle.

The only useful thing about having it remotely mounted is the fuel line now runs round the bulkhead and not across the engine, so hopefully it gathers less heat that way.

Andy
Brilliant answer Fuzz, really appreciated
Old 26 February 2006, 07:31 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quality fuel pressure regs include the Fuel Lab and SX. As indicated by Andy above it is the flow and pressure that will decide what you require from the FPR. FSE openly state their FPRs are not designed for use above 5 bar. This will be adequate for most people but there will be some running 3.5 bar fuel pressure and 2 bar of boost and in these instances a FPR capable of 6 bar is advisable.
I have purchased Fuel Lab with fitting kit with change out of £150.
Old 26 February 2006, 07:36 PM
sti-spec-a
Scooby Regular

SARD for me, got it from Flat4online.co.uk for a very good price.

SARD is a small unit compared with the others mentioned but can handle up to 8bar, not that you should run fuel pressure anywhere near that level

Grant