Power Steering Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2006, 12:50 AM
SC008Y
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Noise

Hello Chaps

I have just recently brought back the car from a local garage after havin one of the cylinders replaced. I drove the car off and noticed that the steering is making an aweful squetching sound and have been informed that it will go away after some driving. He has told me that some air got into power steering because they had to take alot of things apart.

Can someone confirm if that is right or has he messed up something on my car.

SC008Y
Old 02 March 2006, 01:03 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I used to get that noise sometimes, i would advise you to top up the power steering fluid and if the noise returns that means you have a leak somewhere and car is losing fluid allowing air into the system.
You may want to get it checked for leaks by the garage.

banny
Old 02 March 2006, 05:55 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, me too! I'm still trying to track down the cause of the really noisy PS which was fine before the engine rebuild. The fluid level looks fine and the belts were just changed so what else coukd it be?
Old 02 March 2006, 09:38 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

In all seriousness chaps, the levels may look fine, but top the fluids up anyway.. if the problem keeps coming back, you got a leak.

I had a leaking power steering pipe diagnosed just this way. I too checked the levels and they looked ok when I had the noises, but is still took almost half a litre of fluids befove the level you can see actually moved up.
Old 03 March 2006, 10:03 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

I've noticed the PAS reservoir doesnt always looks full even when the system is low?? The other halfs wrx is leaking from one of the seals on the rack but the PAS reservoir looks full on inspection BUT if you pour fluid in, it accepts it.. Must be down to the design of the filler.
Old 03 March 2006, 02:58 PM
Swift Cee
Scooby Regular

Default What PAS Fluid does work best?

Iv got some noises coming from my93 WRX. What fluid shoiuld i use?

ta
Old 03 March 2006, 06:13 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Well, following this revelation about how the PS tank will still take more fluid even though it looks full, I thought I'd give it a try. So I did and it's all true!

What a crap design. I poured a quarter of a litre into it and the level hardly moved. But my noise problems have stopped entirely. All I did was check the level, pour a bit in, start the engine, run the steering from lock to lock two or three times, pour a bit more in, close the cap and it's working perfectly.

I've slightly overfilled it (a bit over the hot maximum mark) - does this matter a great deal?

BTW the fluid I used was just some bog standard Carplan stuff at my local motor factors. £2.50 for half a litre. Halfords do a litre of their own Dexron II stuff for a fiver. Anyway, Dexron II or III is what you want I think.