Notices

HKS SSQV - Servicing & Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2006, 01:19 PM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb HKS SSQV - Servicing & Adjustment

I recently bought a second hand HKS SSQV and to be honest I'm very dissapointed with the amount (or lack of) noise it makes. It chirps fairly loudly at full chat but apart from that the thing remains almost silent from within the cabin. This was not the case with the Baileys one i had on before.

It is fitted with the purple insert which I believe is the quietest of the 2 or 3 available, could someone clairfy that?

Basically I like the sound of the HKS as I had heard it on other cars (the sort of whoosh followed by a chattery sort of sound) but mine does not seem to do this. All I get is a short chirp at hight boost.

I have had a play with the adjustment screw and to be honest it didn't make a whole lot of difference. When it was screwed right in I got almost no dump at all and when screwed out it only seems to dump on really high boost.

Could it be the case that the thing neads a good clean inside and if so can this be done easily? Or have I got the adjustment wrong?

Anyway any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Iain
Old 06 April 2006, 01:44 PM
pimpalicous
Scooby Regular

i have on of these fitted on my car, that adjuster screw u are playing with adjusts the tolernce in inside the mechanism for boost so the more its wound in the more boost it can take before it dumps off this is to allow for cars running higher boost so it can keep the boost in rather than leak it in,screwing the device out does the opposite.first of all are u sure this is a genuine hks item as there are quite a few fakes around being sold that look excatly the same! i have found with mine that i can get three types of sound and it is all to do with how u use the boost and throttle under high boost and full throttle with a quick release u get a quick high pitched chirp,if u let the accelerator out slowly under medium/high boost u get a long loud whoosh type of noise,under low boost it makes a wastegate chattering noise.

hope this helps chris
Old 06 April 2006, 01:48 PM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

Yeah Im sure its a real item. I do get the noises you speak about but they are certainly not audible from inside the car. The only noise I can hear is a loud chirp at about 5-6k revs. Are all these noises you're spaking about easily heard from inside the car?

How long is the screw? I think mine is almost all the way out now but am not 100%
Old 06 April 2006, 02:46 PM
swifty.....!
Scooby Regular

from your first question there is differrent inserts silver, purple and gold if you go to link it tells you what differances are www.hksusa.com/products/?id=796&rsku=4600 most dumps need cleaning every so often not sure how you clean hks but with my turbosmart it comes apart very easy and goes back together very easy. should think some one on here will have cleaned theirs for instruction or you could ask hks how to clean it.
Old 07 April 2006, 01:59 AM
pimpalicous
Scooby Regular

yes mine is very loud when i look into the front of my dump valve it is purple is yours? we could have different inserts thats if u can tell that way!my screw is screwed in about halfway played with the screw to see how much difference it made to the sound so i could let u now it didnt make much difference when screwed in all the way it chirped more than it did anythin else and when slowly let off made more of a long chirp than the normal sound i get was not as loud.
Old 07 April 2006, 09:38 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Mine has the purple insert and is loud throughout the rev range. Are you running stock boost levels. I turned my EVC off and returned to stock boost for a while and it was no where near as pronounced...........good excuse for a remap maybe
Old 07 April 2006, 09:44 AM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

Yeah Im running standard boost (my02 wrx). I think thats the problem! Mucked about with it some more last night. Mine isn't loud until your really gunning it then it sounds awesome. Getting used to it and to be honest I think I prefer it to the sound of the baileys I had on before. Not to loud when driving about town. I must be getting old.

Edit - forgot to add its the purple insert

Iain
Old 07 April 2006, 09:51 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Greeny01
Yeah Im running standard boost (my02 wrx). I think thats the problem!
Definatly remap time then
Old 07 April 2006, 09:52 AM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

lol I like your thinking

Iain
Old 07 April 2006, 12:07 PM
pimpalicous
Scooby Regular

hmmm goes louder after a re-map aye mines already well loud might have to get hold of scott taylor then get my baby chipped aswell! anyone have his number?
Old 08 April 2006, 09:59 PM
scoobykevuk
Scooby Regular

apparently the gold insert is louder,i gotta check mine as its not very loud either?? mmm take off and strip i think