COOLANT QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2006, 02:00 PM
IWANASCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COOLANT QUESTION

Hi everybody,

Got a bit of a concern with my coolant and the level it should be at.

I checked it the other day and it looked very low in the header tank so I topped it up.

Drove to work morning after parked up came back to car at evening and little puddle of coolant on the floor, took cap off and checked level again and it had dropped.

Topped it up again and drove to the bird's house which is a fair drive and then back home and checked under the bonnet and everything seems fine.

This has happened a few times now, the temperature never moves above the level it normally sits at.

More than a bit baffled right now.

Am I over filling it perhaps, should it be fairly low in the header tank, can't seem to find any leak from the surrounding pipes either.

Any comments guys???
Old 21 April 2006, 10:25 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IWANASCOOBY
Hi everybody,

Got a bit of a concern with my coolant and the level it should be at.

I checked it the other day and it looked very low in the header tank so I topped it up.

Drove to work morning after parked up came back to car at evening and little puddle of coolant on the floor, took cap off and checked level again and it had dropped.

Topped it up again and drove to the bird's house which is a fair drive and then back home and checked under the bonnet and everything seems fine.

This has happened a few times now, the temperature never moves above the level it normally sits at.

More than a bit baffled right now.

Am I over filling it perhaps, should it be fairly low in the header tank, can't seem to find any leak from the surrounding pipes either.

Any comments guys???
check water pump.
Old 22 April 2006, 11:55 AM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

header tank shouldnt be low, can you see where the waters coming from? was the puddle on the drivers side or passengers side?

My rad started to leak and levels would drop but only when the engine was on so it took a while to find out what was leaking. i had to replace the top hose last year as well.
after replacing the rad i over filled the system and found excess water was getting spat out the resevoir by the battery. its stopped doing that now and levels staying the same.
Old 22 April 2006, 01:00 PM
IWANASCOOBY
Scooby Regular

The coolant is leaking from the drivers side, I think I'm possibley overfilling the header tank, there is a tiny pipe that leads from the top of the radiator to the header tank and i think im filling it up past that. been told by birds dad that im overfilling it, he explained it to me like overfilling a kettle and boiling it and it spits out over the work top, he said its the same effect.
Old 22 April 2006, 01:04 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

the header tank is a sealed pressured unit. water cant escape unless theres a problem......
Old 22 April 2006, 01:08 PM
IWANASCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Well its in for a service next week, so will get him to check it out fr me while doing the service.
Old 22 April 2006, 05:45 PM
IWANASCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Diagnosed the problem now and it looks like I have a slight radiator leak from the drivers side bottom corner.

There appears to be a little wing nut/tap which we have checked but that is nice and tight.

How easy is it to repair a radiator? N how much is a 2nd radiator for a k plate wrx turbo????

Cheers
Old 22 April 2006, 08:10 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

i replaced mine with a new one from ebay. about 50 sqid. piece of **** to change over