Notices

what boost you running on your vf35's?

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2006, 06:22 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what boost you running on your vf35's?

ive got a vf35 on my clasic mapped to 1.25bar boost and 310.5 bhp along with many other mods inc sti8 intercooler ect and quite a few mods to keep intake temp down, i was wondering if it would be safe to run 1.3bar on my next remap tweek? what boost you running on yours? thanks
Old 22 April 2006, 07:11 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WR1's are mapped to 1.4 BAR using a 3-port boost solenoid. I think the WRC Tech map pushes this to 1.5 BAR, but someone who has this fitted may be able to confirm?
Old 22 April 2006, 07:23 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

did your mapper give you a choice?

I pay my mapper to make decisions like that, if your mapper has felt that he feels that 1.25 is a safe level for your car are you going to go back and tell him he has done it wrong as people on scooby net say 1.4 bar if fine

when Bob maps mine I don't argue just let him use his experience and know how. If i didn't think he knew best I wouldn't pay him

but fyi I have ran 1.3 on a vf35 ( with a rcm ported p18) for over a year and now running 1.4 max dropping to 1.35 ( bigger turbo) but thats how Bob mapped it not what I asked for
Old 22 April 2006, 07:30 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Rich

I pay my mapper to make decisions like that, if your mapper has felt that he feels that 1.25 is a safe level for your car are you going to go back and tell him he has done it wrong as people on scooby net say 1.4 bar if fine

when Bob maps mine I don't argue just let him use his experience and know how. If i didn't think he knew best I wouldn't pay him

but fyi I have ran 1.3 on a vf35 ( with a rcm ported p18) for over a year and now running 1.4 max dropping to 1.35 ( bigger turbo) but thats how Bob mapped it not what I asked for
it was mapped by rich at powerstation, i was very happy with what he done. i didnt ask if i could run more boost. i was just wondering if i could run a bit more boost the next time i go back. thanks
Old 22 April 2006, 07:36 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

AndyF mapped mine to 1.25 bar, although its a VF29 Hybrid with ported turbine intake.

I run megan headers, STI8 IC, NGK 7's, APS CAK with samco inlet hose (not the one under the manifold), 3" Zerosports catted downpipe, 2.5" magnex system.

Not sure of the power, but while mapping, Andy tried 1.3 bar and it was just pushing the turbo too much. I would imagine midrange can do 1.4 and Andy says the same as long as I tail off to the 1.25 bar around 6k.

I'm going to go the AVCR route to do this as the PFC does allow this.

Hope this helps a tad.
Old 22 April 2006, 07:40 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

well if hes done a good job ask him what he thinks you should do next

like many on here I ve spent lots of money on mods only to reach the mapping stage and get laughed at (in the nicest possible way) for spending x amount of money on item Y that just dosn't do what it should

use your mappers experience you pay for it

Last edited by WRX_Rich; 22 April 2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 23 April 2006, 08:03 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started out with 1.5 bar on a VF35, tailing to 1.25 @ 6k rpm, giving 280 bhp @ wheels on Ecutek road dyno. This is on an MY04 WRX wagon with std transmission.
Peak boost has now been brought down to 1.4 bar and feels quite a bit more civilised and less gearbox threatening.

Nick
Old 23 April 2006, 10:09 AM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

thanks for the relpies guys, im happy with the peformane of my engine at the mo, im going to get some decent suspension next. i was just wondering if maybe in a few months i could of run a bit more boost as i feel i could get more out my mods.
Old 23 April 2006, 04:20 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rentonone
thanks for the relpies guys, im happy with the peformane of my engine at the mo, im going to get some decent suspension next. i was just wondering if maybe in a few months i could of run a bit more boost as i feel i could get more out my mods.
I asked Rich to turn the boost up on my car from 1,2bar to 1,3bar and he advised against it. So I trusted his judgement. The other thing is that my car is not a STi so I havent got the stronger STi pistons, So I dont really want to push my engine to its limit and end up regretting it for a extra 5-10bhp.
Old 23 April 2006, 04:33 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Mine's just been mapped to 1.4 bar by Paul at Zen with a Power FC. This is on the standard TMIC although tilted and 'splittered' plus Samco hoses - everything you can do to get the best out of a top mount. Other spec: VF35 obviously, Tesco 99 fuel, STi 5 heads, sports catted H&S/GGR exhaust from up-pipe back, 3 port solenoid, Walbro 255 fuel pump, oil catch tank in crankcase vent line, standard 380cc grey injectors and blue label 'F' MAF.

Next step if I want it will be a FMIC then tweaks to the timing to get more out of the current boost levels. Current map is built around the limited capabilities of my intercooler.

1.4 bar feels bloody quick to me, but when I set it to 1.2 it still feels brilliant. Asking around before I bought my VF35, the general opinion was that it would run 1.2 to 1.4 all day long, but might struggle beyond that.

Just out of interest rentonone, what heat management mods have you done apart from the STi8 I/C?
Old 23 April 2006, 05:04 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
Mine's just been mapped to 1.4 bar by Paul at Zen with a Power FC. This is on the standard TMIC although tilted and 'splittered' plus Samco hoses - everything you can do to get the best out of a top mount. Other spec: VF35 obviously, Tesco 99 fuel, STi 5 heads, sports catted H&S/GGR exhaust from up-pipe back, 3 port solenoid, Walbro 255 fuel pump, oil catch tank in crankcase vent line, standard 380cc grey injectors and blue label 'F' MAF.

Next step if I want it will be a FMIC then tweaks to the timing to get more out of the current boost levels. Current map is built around the limited capabilities of my intercooler.

1.4 bar feels bloody quick to me, but when I set it to 1.2 it still feels brilliant. Asking around before I bought my VF35, the general opinion was that it would run 1.2 to 1.4 all day long, but might struggle beyond that.

Just out of interest rentonone, what heat management mods have you done apart from the STi8 I/C?

ive got some inlet manifold insulaters on there,ive moved the coolent tank off the manifold, some prf7b spark plugs, parralell fuel rails, ive insulated the coolent pipes under the intercooler, heat wrapped headers,up and down pipe and a intercooler water spray set up with 3 nossles. i reckon all these mods work well together. cheerz
Old 23 April 2006, 05:44 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell you've been busy. Have you got a turbo jacket as well?
Old 23 April 2006, 06:04 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
Bloody hell you've been busy. Have you got a turbo jacket as well?
no mate, i did want one but i coulnt find one. ive just got the standard heat shield on with a modified air diffuser to cool the turbo better.
Old 23 April 2006, 06:32 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by WRX_Rich

The users input is valuable as different people have different requirements.

You have to live with the car not your mapper.

AndyF mapped mine and did a top job, but did so with my requirements in mind.
Old 23 April 2006, 06:59 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

just what im trying to say sorry if it came out wrong.... Bob new my requirements not what boost in bar @ x revs I wanted to run,

and im sure Powerstation did just the same with rentonone,