Notices

High Mileage buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2006, 02:42 PM
Luke-Avfc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage buying advice

Im currently in the market for my 2nd scooby and have come across a nice mica blue uk turbo 2000. The cars a genuine 1 owner 2001 X plater with a genuine 95000 miles on the clock completly standard & a FSSH fully stamped with a recent cambelt change 10000 miles ago. Is there anything i should know about high mileage scoobs? The car sounds superb and its at the right price but the mileage is putting me off even though its got FSSH . My previous scoob was a low mileage import wrx & i had endless running problems with it hence turning towards a UK scoob as at least you know the service intevals and whats been done. Any buying advise would be great...
Old 22 May 2006, 03:08 PM
hivis
Scooby Regular

Hi m8 i,ve just purchased a high miler 115k with fssh and totally standard and its a dream to drive so far with no probs.I also had import ver3 sti before this and i can safely the engine is in better in the high mileage uk car
Old 22 May 2006, 03:10 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only problem with the mileage is when you go to sell it potential buyer will do the same thought process you are having.. if looked after they go on and on.. I just removed my 187,000miles engine and it was still running.

Simon
Old 22 May 2006, 06:30 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well obviously at that mileage you buy on condition, which is what I did when I got my wagon on 105k. But even if it's had a relatively easy life, which mine had had, and only two owners and plenty of servicing, with leggy motors you do get to a stage where every month you're replacing electrics. It's just the way it is with older motors, and with Subaru parts prices it can get pricey pretty quickly - e.g. just a selection from recent bits I've looked into getting from Subaru - idle control valve,, throttle position sensor, MAF sensor - all nigh on £300 each.
Old 22 May 2006, 07:24 PM
sifly
Scooby Regular

My 95 uk wagon has 106k and all seems well mate,simon had yours had any major work at 187k amd any mods on it mate?,and if it starts to go wrong i will just remember Alfa 155 ownership need i say anymore lol.
Old 22 May 2006, 07:56 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by silent running
Well obviously at that mileage you buy on condition, which is what I did when I got my wagon on 105k. But even if it's had a relatively easy life, which mine had had, and only two owners and plenty of servicing, with leggy motors you do get to a stage where every month you're replacing electrics. It's just the way it is with older motors, and with Subaru parts prices it can get pricey pretty quickly - e.g. just a selection from recent bits I've looked into getting from Subaru - idle control valve,, throttle position sensor, MAF sensor - all nigh on £300 each.
disagree..
Old 22 May 2006, 08:03 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sifly
My 95 uk wagon has 106k and all seems well mate,simon had yours had any major work at 187k amd any mods on it mate?,and if it starts to go wrong i will just remember Alfa 155 ownership need i say anymore lol.
coil packs at 100k
clutch at 124k
At 100k a Scoobyecu - decat and induction kit went on..
then over the next 87k it was modded further, fmic, link ecu, 550s, walbro, fse reg.
Then a different fmic, Apexi PFC, Apexi AVC-R, 740 injectors, Fuelab fuel pressure reg.. it ran 1.5bar on the TD05 for a while but the heads started to lift under boost - or suspected so I turned the boost down to 1.3bar and it ran fine for another 20k or so like that.
It started using a little oil but only about a litre or so between services.. which I did at 7500miles.
I only changed the engine as I had built a stronger one and wanted more power.

Original turbo, and it would appear to have not been split.. I owned it since 78k.. it has the subaru factory grey sealant on the block.

Simon

Trending Topics

Old 22 May 2006, 08:37 PM
sifly
Scooby Regular

Thats good going mate do you know what sort of power it was produceing?
Old 22 May 2006, 08:45 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Around 350 judging by the fuel calcs and other cars I have mapped.. never went on the rollers though.
Old 22 May 2006, 08:54 PM
sifly
Scooby Regular

Fantastic what else could you tune like that at such mileage,nice one mate.
Old 23 May 2006, 05:40 PM
Scooby Senior

I've got a uk forester S here with 167k on it, still sweet as a nut
Old 23 May 2006, 06:27 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
disagree..
Well I'm just going on my personal experience Simon. I've bought a fair few 100k+ milers and as a rule I find that I spend a lot of money replacing basic stuff that just wears out - e.g. gearbox switches, dash bulbs, sensors, rubber seals etc. Some are cheap, some not so cheap, but Subaru are not renowned for bargain basement parts prices and a lot of basic components can't be had from your local motor factors. I've only had experience of one high mileage Subaru, my own, and from that I'd say it's no better or worse than any of my other high milers. Apart from I've never had any other car that had as much engine trouble as my Scoob LOL but then I don't think that's so much the mileage, as the car in general! I could be wrong about all this of course, you've looked over a lot more Scoobs than I have mate.