Notices

Apexi AVCR worth it on my spec.?

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2006, 04:27 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi AVCR worth it on my spec.?

Running out of mods now without spending silly money, but still want more from the car.

Its currently a 2.5L forged internals,20g,sti8IC, apexi power FC etc,etc.

I notice the car is not hitting full boost in 1st,2nd,3rd and only really hitting my full target boost of around 1.35 bar in 4th and really 5th.

3 questions really.

a. Will the apexi boost controller let me hold 1.35 in every gear. ?
b. Is say 1.35 held advisable/possible from a AVCR, or is it best to pull the boost back at the high end revs.
c. Would it make much difference to the performance.

I am guessing for RR results it would make little difference as the car would be under load in a 4th gear run and hit somewhere near target boost, but on the road I am guessing it would make it an animal off the line.

Also the problem I had on my last dyno run was that the car was not under load as much as when it is on the road and even on a 3rd gear run it was not hitting the same boost on the road.

Does/would the AVCR do away with this problem and insure the car hits the boost you want irrespective of load ?.

I seriously struggle to put the power down already in 1st and 2nd, and 3rd in the wet, but more is always good

thanks in advance.

Rob
Old 22 May 2006, 04:42 PM
wee jock
Scooby Newbie

Im using the AVCR at the moment and I am hitting 1.45 bar of boost, It really does make a big difference to the car!

Dont think you would be wanting to run full boost in First and 2nd gears, the way my car is setup is that you get more boost as you go up the gears!

Try getting a hold of The Jolly Green Monster on here, he is the man to talk too!
Old 22 May 2006, 04:52 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Simon aka Jolly green monster mapped my car and have sent him link to the post, I am hitting my target boost but only in top gear. More boost in the lower gears surely means it would pack a bigger punch.

Its 3rd gear where I feel I am loosing out. Its only hitting full boost in 5th and nearly in 4th. I could do with more boost in 3rd and a tad more in 2nd. but don't think any amount of mapping on the power fc will deliver this.
Old 22 May 2006, 05:10 PM
wee jock
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by RobEvo5
Simon aka Jolly green monster mapped my car and have sent him link to the post, I am hitting my target boost but only in top gear. More boost in the lower gears surely means it would pack a bigger punch.

Its 3rd gear where I feel I am loosing out. Its only hitting full boost in 5th and nearly in 4th. I could do with more boost in 3rd and a tad more in 2nd. but don't think any amount of mapping on the power fc will deliver this.
You can control the boost indepedently using the AVCR, turn it up to what ever settings you want (safe), what you might start doing lower down the gears is blow hoses!
Old 22 May 2006, 06:39 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a,c =yes.

I got 434 BHP at about 1.35 bar at 6000 RPM on 20G/2.5 with methanol 10%.

If I had forged internals in a 2.5 with a good headgasket seal and a bit of octane you would struggle to hold me back from letting it run 1.8 bar in the midrange. 20G might overspeed if you went higher though (PR 2.9 on the map).
Old 22 May 2006, 08:09 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob,

Because we set ourselves a 1.35bar limit when we mapped it, and as most load is in 5th, therefore it makes 1.35bar in 5th and less due to less load in the lower gears.

An AVC-R would allow more boost to be run in the lower gears, or to run more boost through the mid-range and tail it off at the top.

Simon

PS: I thought you wanted a 2seater for the summer and were selling it?
Old 22 May 2006, 09:12 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave the target at 1.35bar, but click the duty up a bit on the Apexi PFC. This will help to lift the boost in the lower gears.
But don't do it too much or the boost will oscilate when you do get into the higher gears.

Or have 2 boost settings setup in the commander i.e 1.35Bar Duty 60% and 1.35bar Duty 64%

I get 1.35bar in 3rd and just over 1.35bar in 5th with my PFC settings.
Old 22 May 2006, 10:26 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
a,c =yes.

I got 434 BHP at about 1.35 bar at 6000 RPM on 20G/2.5 with methanol 10%.

If I had forged internals in a 2.5 with a good headgasket seal and a bit of octane you would struggle to hold me back from letting it run 1.8 bar in the midrange. 20G might overspeed if you went higher though (PR 2.9 on the map).
Thanks John - Re-assuring for me. And do think I am missing out in the lower gears and also a bit in the higher gears.

Originally Posted by JGM
Rob,

Because we set ourselves a 1.35bar limit when we mapped it, and as most load is in 5th, therefore it makes 1.35bar in 5th and less due to less load in the lower gears.

An AVC-R would allow more boost to be run in the lower gears, or to run more boost through the mid-range and tail it off at the top.

Simon

PS: I thought you wanted a 2seater for the summer and were selling it?
I understand why the car is where it is and the reasons, and hence the post and apparant/possible need for AVCR to get the full potential, as suggested by you after our last session.

reference selling the car, pretty much come round to the idea of keeping it and keep going with it till I hit a target of over 400bhp. Every time I drive it I can't help but think not much else could ever come close for even double the price of my car, so why sell.

Originally Posted by Scott.t
Leave the target at 1.35bar, but click the duty up a bit on the Apexi PFC. This will help to lift the boost in the lower gears.
But don't do it too much or the boost will oscilate when you do get into the higher gears.

Or have 2 boost settings setup in the commander i.e 1.35Bar Duty 60% and 1.35bar Duty 64%

I get 1.35bar in 3rd and just over 1.35bar in 5th with my PFC settings.
Will Give it a try mate but guessing the boost in 5th will then be way over 1.4bar to get 1.35bar in 2nd 3rd, which is getting into dodgy territory. AVCR would give me more flexibility and get even more boost in the mid range. Worth a try and might get it feeling a little better. But if not AVCR will be on order before the weeks out with a view to having set up before June 16th

Last edited by RobEvo5; 22 May 2006 at 10:49 PM.