Did I fry my ECU? need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2006, 09:35 PM
Forester_GP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Did I fry my ECU? need Help!

Car is MY00 Forester, 2.5L newly converted. Ecuteked
After i had spent some time tweaking the final maps, at about the last miles of the breaking in period, i went to my friendly Ecutek dealer to flash the map.
The dealer was to busy to do it himself so he let me do the work for him. I'm quite familiar with flash99 so it shouldnt've been a problem as i had watched him do it many times before.
Everything went ok with the reflash (although some packets were resent) BUT car won't start now.
Upon turning ignition ON, CEL is flashing rapidly and a clicking sound comes from relays(fuel pump i think) with an accompanying sound from the walbro pump switching on and off.
Checked all connectors under dash and fuses and still no go!!
Also Searched many forums but didn't find anything similar.
DD connects to ECU but in an on and off fashion, same for flash99, although, it does detect last programming date.

What are my options in case the ECU is toast????

George
Old 10 June 2006, 11:03 PM
Forester_GP
Scooby Regular

Anyone, taking a guess??
Old 10 June 2006, 11:32 PM
Bob Rawle
Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its fried. ANY missed or "resent" (which doesn't really happen) packets will screw it. Even 1 byte. Actually there is nothing wrong with the ecu, you just corrupted the rom code that allows you to re-program.

You forgot to turn your mobile off ? Soo susceptable unless you know what you are about. So many things can influence.

sorry to hear about the problem

bob
Old 11 June 2006, 12:22 AM
Forester_GP
Scooby Regular

That's what i thought, although i know a little about ECU's i happen to know a lot about PC hardware and this seemed and awfully familiar experience.
Mob phone was about a meter away and YES it was switched on.
The only other difference was that i used the newer USB dongle instead of the old one with the external 12v suplly.
Darn it, the car was running so smooth after the 2.5 conversion but didn't get the chance to boot it properly...besides some quick 3rd WOT logging.
I'm so hooked in ECUTEK-JECS since we first done mine with steven back in 2002 that i find it very difficult to switch to an aftermarket if a have to.

Bob, do you think an 801 or 802 from the GT would work? as the tend to be kind of cheap nowdays but then again would have to have or get another licence for it?
Or should i forget the JECS and go for something like the PowerFC?

George
PS. Thanks for replying