Cutting out.

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2006, 08:39 PM
R5_GTT_Steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting out.

Lo all, im needing some help,

For about 4 weeks now my MY99 UK turbo has started cutting out and its starting to get worse.The first time it happened i was doing about 20mph crawling upto a junction and the car stalled,that same night doing 60 ish in 3rd down a motorway slip road the engine lost all power and the throttle didnt respond,just as i was giong to hit the hazzards (still moving) it came back to life,we carried on and it was fine.It was then ok for about a week then it did it again so i replaced the MAF.After that it ran fine for about a week and a half until it did it again in peak time traffic BUT the difference this time is that it didnt fire back up.Afer bout 5 mins in the middle of the road i managed to get it to run but the tickover was very very low bout 100 rpm and pressing the throttle didnt make it rev, i moved the car using the idle running speed to the edge of the road.At this point i was stuck and the only thing left was an ECU reset which i did , turned the key and it ran as normal.

It then got me about a mile to within about a 100 yards of my house and it did it again but it did start back up after the 4 the try.i then left the car untill today ive been out in it a done about 40 miles and it hasent done it once.

The thing is is that everytime it does this the ECU doesnt prduce a fault code,so what would make the car cutout and isnt monitored by the ECU?

All i can think of is the fuel pump(ive looked under the back seat and the wires are ok)

Any info would be great as im very scared of the wife driving it incase it happends iin the fast lane of a motorway or passing someone.

Steve

Last edited by R5_GTT_Steve; 12 June 2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12 June 2006, 01:34 PM
R5_GTT_Steve
Scooby Regular

Another thing......should i get a preasure release when taking off the petrol cap?
Old 12 June 2006, 01:40 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont worry about the vacum on the fuel tank (unless its really bad) just about every common rail injection car has this.
Old 12 June 2006, 02:31 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Would check for the usual like air leaks, and also the plugs condition.
Do you get any smoke from the exhaust when this happens? (thinking overfuelling which could be down to faulty temp sensor)
The symptoms do actually sound maf related though to be honest even though you have changed mafs.
Old 12 June 2006, 05:13 PM
R5_GTT_Steve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
Would check for the usual like air leaks, and also the plugs condition.
Do you get any smoke from the exhaust when this happens? (thinking overfuelling which could be down to faulty temp sensor)
The symptoms do actually sound maf related though to be honest even though you have changed mafs.
No m8 no smoke when it happends,the MAF was new and in a sealed packet could it still be a dud?
The one that i took out was only 12 months old.
Old 14 June 2006, 01:54 PM
R5_GTT_Steve
Scooby Regular

Anyone?