Notices

Throttle Bodies on Impreza sport

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2006, 05:08 PM
delboys974
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Throttle Bodies on Impreza sport

hey people! the more and more people i have spoke to that have told me to just get a turbo is unbelievable.... and many of you will say it too.....so here it is! i want to see how much power i can get out my 2.0 16 v 4wd sport scooby doo. People have mentioned lightened flywheels and clutch kit, full exhaust bla bla, and i cant seem to find a cam kit or superchip anywhere (note: i already have full system and filter) so after speaking to a freind we got to talking about throttle body kits.... so i found a place called balance motorsport and he can do me a kit for about 1300 quid but then ill need about 300 quids worth of rolling road and custom made linkages and manifold at about 600- 700 quid ....... Now before i can do all this i need to know whther the cylinder head on the sport will be the same as on a turbo???? i could do with checking the cast numbers or something...... if u think about mass production then it would have made sense for subaru financially to make them the same but..... IF ANYONE OUT THERE COULD HELP ME WITH INFORMATION ABOUT MY LITTLE PROJECT THEN PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! cos im dying to see how much power i can i can get out my scooby!!! thanks a lot people......... jack
Old 20 June 2006, 05:52 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Can't tell you about heads, but I do know there is at least one out there as a project that is doing pretty well, you're not alone I can't remember who was doing it though.

What year do you have?

If you're really serious about it I would first go along the route of type ra diffs and box to shorten the gear ratio's considerably, and while you're at it you may as well at least do the flywheel.

Cams won't be a problem as the better companies will re-grind your old ones to your spec for little more than the cost of a kit.

I think the rev limit is a bit low for making real power, so to pick this up a bit forged pistons and rods would be good with sti heads and your own cams.

To control it all an ecu would be required, a standalone or to save money a dastek unichip may be compatable and would do the job.

I reckon on throttle bodies it would be about the nicest sounding car ever.
Old 20 June 2006, 07:34 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your looking at thousands of pounds worth of work when you could sell your car, spend the extra wodge on a WRX or Turbo 2000 and have money left to increase performance.
Old 20 June 2006, 10:49 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

I have a Sport and a WRX both 16 valve but the sport has one camshaft per cylinder bank and the WRX has two per cylinder bank. WRX = quadcam making it a much wider head, sport has twin cam making it less wide.

only noticed that this morning as i thought the sport engines were 8valve due to only having one cam shaft per cylinder bank. However you might as well get a turbo model it will be far cheaper and faster than any sport could be.

Gaz
Old 21 June 2006, 07:17 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Looks like if you really wanted to do it, it may even be a better option to buy an old Ra and de-turbo it
Old 21 June 2006, 08:19 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GazJenno
only noticed that this morning as i thought the sport engines were 8valve due to only having one cam shaft per cylinder bank. However you might as well get a turbo model it will be far cheaper and faster than any sport could be.
Gaz
SOHC 16v engines do exist, a lot of the early Honda 16v engines are SOHC
Old 21 June 2006, 10:46 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I'd have a chat to some of the guys over in the US on NASIOC. Alot of them run n/a scoobs although many are 2.5. But they may know more about getting more BHP out of a n/a engine cheaply. Plus importing parts from the states can work out cheaper.

Some of the later 16v n/a imprezas were SOHC, earlier ones were DOHC

Oh, Don't get a Turbo!!!!....

Get a Supercharger

Last edited by Shark Man; 21 June 2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 27 June 2006, 11:39 AM
delboys974
Scooby Newbie

Default throttle bodies

thanx chaps for all the advice on the throttle bodie project. a special thanks to RB5 245 for talkin sense and giving me some good advice..... am gonna look into having my cams done and clutch and lightened flywheel. again thanx to all the people on here who actually helped and didnt just say " get a turbo" will keep u updated ppl. bonjour
Old 27 June 2006, 12:18 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Please keep this thread up to date if you're serious about doing that. It's a very interesting project. Make sure and take the time to do it right.

I'd recommend a couple of books to read on the subject.

Forced Induction Tuning, and 4-stroke performance tuning both by A. Graham Bell. (find on Amazon).

The first one is easyer to understand and is very relevant, even for non turbo engines. The 2nd one is very technical and a heavy going read but both are a wealth of knowledge.

You have to have a passion for the subject though to get through them both mind you, same as you need to go all the way with an na impreza

Dave